Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how many amps the block heater pulls? It's time to start using it and I need to get an extension cord. Wondering how heavy of one to use.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Hi Wiseman

I believe most block heaters are about 1000 to 1200 watts.

Which would work out to about 11 amps.

Wattage divided by voltage equals amperage

1200 divided by 110 = 10.90 amps

hmmm theres no divided key on the keyboard.

Or if you know voltage usually 110 or 220

and times it by the amperage you get watts.

You should probably get a 14 guage cord or 12 depending on the length of the cord.

Hopes this helps Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
444 Posts
The LB7 Duramax 6600 has a 1000 watt heater.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you need a shorter cord, check the hardware store for an "air conditioner extension cord."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. As I found and got the heater cord out tonight I noticed a tag on the cord which listed 1250 watts so we're talking 10 to 11 amps.

By the way, I read another post where someone found that their front and rear differentials came from GM low on lube. While I was working on the truck this evening I checked mine and found both of them to be low.
In fact I put my finger down in as far as I could and couldn't reach the lube in either differential. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow. I hope no damage has been done.

I also checked the transfer case and it was OK.

Everyone.......when getting these trucks new, be sure to check your differential lube levels.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wiseman said:
By the way, I read another post where someone found that their front and rear differentials came from GM low on lube. While I was working on the truck this evening I checked mine and found both of them to be low.
In fact I put my finger down in as far as I could and couldn't reach the lube in either differential. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow. I hope no damage has been done.

Everyone.......when getting these trucks new, be sure to check your differential lube levels.

Yep! Mine was just as low. You couldn/t even feel the fluid when you stuck your finger in the rear differential "No wise cracks guys!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Wiseman and Johnny O

Your front and rear differentials being low on fluid is a direct reflection on your DEALER.

They are supposed to do a pre-delivery inspection on every vehicle, and I think they are payed for it by GM to make sure all the fluids are topped off, air in tires, no loose or missing bolts and so on.

And I'm sure your salesman assured you it was done, If it were me I would go to the dealership owner, if you can find him, or the next one down in the food chain and complain.

If your differential were to have problems they would be blaming you all day long if you didnt find it. And just because it didnt break anything now who knows if it shortened the life by 100,000 miles by being low on fluid and scorching a bearing or two.

Take it back and have them go through the whole truck AGAIN this time for real.

Bye Diesel Dragon
Edited by: Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
391 Posts
16 AMPS AS IN OWNERS MANUAL....WMART -100 FOOT $30.00

·
Registered
433 Posts
About the fluids being low. I changed all my fluids to synthetic just a couple weeks ago and in the process I checked my fluid levels and they were all good. As to what Diesel Dragon was saying, the dealership is supposed to top everything off once the vehicle is delivered. I don't know about vehicles but I know a lot of equipment that we get in new have minimum amounts of oils and fuel in them for shipping purposes. I don't know the percentage amounts of fluids, but some shipping companies want oils drained to minimum amounts prior to shipping in case of spillage. When I had my truck shipped up here to Alaska from S. Carolina I couldn't have more then 1/4 tank of fuel. When I brought it there they checked the fuel level and I was at about 1/2 tank. They pumped it out down to 1/4 tank before they shipped it and I didn't get reimbursed for the fuel they took out.
Maybe that is why a lot of the fluids are low. My .02 cents.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I also added to the board under the above post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts