Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it anyway tied up to the fusebox's or is it a seperatly powered?

I want to test it out but it looks like it hasent been used in years so I dont want to blow fuses or short anything out if it is attached to the fuse box's

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not connected to anything else on the truck. If you follow the cord, you'll see it goes from the electrical plug end directly to the heater element.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Not connected to anything else on the truck. If you follow the cord, you'll see it goes from the electrical plug end directly to the heater element.

Absolutly correct ! No fuse or somthing else with the truck.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Very true. The 120v cord goes directly to the block heater. No switches, breakers, or fuses are provided. Watch for chaffing on the cord or you could see some sparks!!!

Jake

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now the million dollar question

How do I know its working? :uhoh2:

I probably dont need it though cause I live in San Diego and the coldest it gets here is 49 degrees but still I want to use it cause I have it :)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts

I probably dont need it though cause I live in San Diego and the coldest it gets here is 49 degrees but still I want to use it cause I have it :)

:confused:

·
Registered
714 Posts
How do I know its working?
Go for a drive, get the engine hot, then park it and plug it in.

Next morning, feel the block. If it is warm, it is working. Ice cold, then you have a cold emitting heating element. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Could plug it in and listen for a few minutes, should hear slow crackle.
Ohm-meter between the two blades should around 30 ohms, open between flats and ground and ground the truck ground 0 ohms.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup, should sound an awful lot like a coffee pot.

As stated above, you could also test the plug - should make a complete circuit from one spade to the other (at the plug end). If it's not working, the typical failure in this set-up is that the wires inside the cord break from being tossed and bent around. The heating element itself rarely goes bad.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Isn't that like living in Miami and using the heated seats?

If it gets to under 20 deg. F inside my garage, I might consider plugging mine in.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Oh my ... where to start...?

LOL. Gonna be -20*C here tonight.

Plug it in and stick your ear on the hood. You should hear it start to sizzle inside of 30 seconds. It's easier to hear if your engine is cold (not recently running) because there are no expansion/contraction sounds when cooling off.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Oh my ... where to start...?

LOL. Gonna be -20*C here tonight.

Plug it in and stick your ear on the hood. You should hear it start to sizzle inside of 30 seconds. It's easier to hear if your engine is cold (not recently running) because there are no expansion/contraction sounds when cooling off.

at -20c make sure your ear isn't wet!!!!...LOL....i guess it's the pain pills...struck me as beein' funny!

·
Banned
536 Posts
at -20c make sure your ear isn't wet!!!!...LOL....i guess it's the pain pills...struck me as beein' funny!
LOL!!!

Nice bro!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you speak from experience? Are you taking pain pills cause you had to rip your ear off the hood? :eek::p:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Do you speak from experience? Are you taking pain pills cause you had to rip your ear off the hood? :eek::p:
no ruptured a tendon in my left hand....had surgery last friday....:eek:

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts

Do you know something I don't about the new year? Cause if you need your block heater in San Diego... I'm gonna need to trade up from my ice scraper to an ice pick.

-25 degrees CELCIUS last week, didn't plug it in, basically new GPs started right up... Still, I plug it in when I know it's gettin real cold out, keeps everything happy, wallet included. And you don't need your ear that close to the hood to hear the crackling that it gets stuck... Then again, I'm not a deaf one eared bear from Alberta :D

Lol sorry I had to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just ordered a block heater for my 97 sub with 145k on it.
But educate me, I looked up under there, and I could see the block heater up there and looks like it is impossible to get too??? ugggggggggg#$%#&%^$*&%
What was GM thinking???? Why didn't GM use the last freeze plug spot which looks easier to get too?
* How does this thing change out, how easy is it? How the heck does it come out? Can I get to it easily or what is the secret, little tiny hands?
thanks!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh Also, I am ordering the Jegs 7x5 oil pan heater #710-23996 400 watts, 36" cord for $50. So I plan on putting both on a 20 Amp S/C timer in a watertight outdoor approved flip up box. I just wired the cirucuit and installed a 20 amp GFCI breaker so that the whole line is protected in ground and above ground. This way have the timer kick in a few hours before I go to work and have both heat things up, how does that sound?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Use a flex screwdriver....you need to take out the rubber flap on the fenderwell...not easy to do but not impossible either...have fun!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts