Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an idea for anyone that might want quick access to there plugin in the winter. I personaly do not want to open the hood everday. I cut the quick tie and located the cord on the engine side of the front pasenger side wheel well. Tied it to the bracket {with two zip ties}, that holds the brake line. Worked very well as long as the cap stays on I dont think water will hurt. Its quick and easy to get too.

David

·
Registered
369 Posts
I personally would not want it there the cap does not fit real tight on mine at least and you will be covering it with junk in that wheel well IMO, also in a good snow storm you need to dig through the salt and snow encrusted wheel well to get to it don't you??? I just pulled mine back out of the wire loom about a foot- foot and a half and ran it right out the front of the grill near the top, no need to open the hood, no need to bend over, no need to get dirty pluggin it in, i zip tied it to the grill support and coated the prongs with some grease to keep it from getting all rusty in the winter weather! Theres actually a lot of cord if you bring it out of the loom a ways!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not worried about snow and salt here wher I live in southwest mo, maybe salted roads three days a year. Ever parked at Wal Mart, more than likely if its visible youl get it cut off. I have several frinds that lost the end of there plugs that way. IMO I dont want anything rubbing the crome on the front grill. O well its just an Idea and dont realy mean much.

David

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I will probably bring mine out and tie it to the tow hook. Seriously people cut these plugs off? Why?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the tow hook idea, I might see if there is enough cord to get it there, the tow hook is black so it would blend in well, and would not be in the way or behind a grill cover if one has it on. Dont know whats in the kids heads now days but its not any good. My neighbor has four diesels and they cut off two of his

David

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Another thing is if u plug into GFCI recepticle be SURE u wipe off the face of the plug or the moisture (salt water is real bad) will trip it.

I got extension cords w/ the led in the plug so u know that u have power, I also watch it for a minute or so to be sure it doesn't trip.

When I get a new truck I make the dealer unloom the cord and put it out the front.

The last couple have been by the headlight and grille but I'll have to have them put the next one on the tow hook.

BTW we have plug ins at work, in the parking lot, and it is better to back into the spaces (grille faces east).

Guys at work run an extension cord along frame out the back and seal the plugs so when backed in a short cord does it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Here in Michigan, that would not work... I had to add a short extension cord and run it out by the tow hooks.. I also put a female plug on it at all times to keep the crap off it....

·
Registered
212 Posts
I pulled mine out of the wire loom and tied it to the tow hook. There was enough wire that I didn't have to add anything to it to get it to reach the hook. I'd like to catch the SOB cutting my plug off.
It would be the last plug he ever cut off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
People cut off the plugs??? Wnat a bunch of idiots.......

Around here we get tons of snow and the wheel wells get quite packed with snow, same thing with the lower grille areas thats why i placed mine up so high, still need to see how it will work when the grille cover is on i may need to move it a little?????

FWIW mine is not rubbing on the chrome on the grill, i would not put it somewhere were it would screw up the paint or chrome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
wow- they cut the plugs? Man, you gotta have a pretty empty life if cuttin plugs makes you feel better. I never would have thought that I need to 'protect' my plug
</v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>

anyway - great idea on the tow hook and the short extension to the back- guess I should get out there and do it before the trucks buried in snow....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a heavy duty 5' extension cord and ran the plug under my front license plate and attached it. No issues thus far, can't see it at all and easy to get to. Oh...BTW the blades on the plug are SS to prevent rusting, etc..

·
Registered
55 Posts
A member on the other site obtained a waterproof plug assembly at West Marine, made by Marinco, and drilled it into the airdam.

I am wondering if both the OEM block heater & an oil pan heater couldn't be wired together in this plug & run both at the same time, giving the best of both worlds ?? What do ya think ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any advice on using the heater? We don't have sever long winter weather here but what is a good practice? Ordering a new Dmax 2500 CC,4x4 now. Located in central NC. My first diesel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts