Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an old post on DuramaxForum claiming you can wire in a switch for c2 pin 53 and a light for c2 pin 11 that will allow you to activate the exhaust brake meant for the medium duty trucks. I tried looking on YouTube for someone thats actually done it and only found people that have tuned in an exhaust brake with efi live etc... reading elsewhere on different forums, some say it works others say it doesn't.

Curious if anyone here has tried it and had any success?

I got my chassis harness out right now to repair some damage caused by critters, again... I'm tempted to try wiring in the exhaust brake while I got mostly everything to do it disassembled. before I order pins, light and a switch I just wanna know if anyone here has done it.

OG post: LBZ: HOW TO: Activate factory turbo brake

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,031 Posts
So in my experience in the Rockies with my LBZ, if you have T/H on and the cruise set, it'll do the same thing. Meaning a much more aggressive downshifting pattern, and clamping down the vanes when attempting to hold speed on a downhill run. Not as handy as a switch, but effective until you tap the brake and it kills cruise.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but the programming is definitely in there. It'll drop 3 gears, allow the engine up to 3-4k RPM, and then you can hear it adjusting the turbo geometry turning your truck into a very expensive air compressor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Utah and never towed with cruise set, knowing that gives me hope, if I can find some ECM pins in stock somewhere I'm gonna give it a try. I've already downloaded and looked over the documentation in the old post so I'm confident in being able to wire it up correctly. I just hope the downshifting isn't as aggressive as I think it is, stopping the truck from going in to those near redline downshifts is why I looked into a turbo/exhaust brake option for the LBZ

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I I just hope the downshifting isn't as aggressive as I think it is, stopping the truck from going in to those near redline downshifts is why I looked into a turbo/exhaust brake option for the LBZ
Well, it's a cheap test. Let us know how it works out. Looks like Eric has them in stock. ECM Terminal Ends, 2006-2010

·
Registered
656 Posts
Compared to just the factory T/H mode transmission braking, having a true turbo brake is night and day difference. Mine is EFI Live tuned on two separate tow tunes and I love having it driving through WV and PA. I bought my EFI Live through ATP/IdahoRob. No regrets.

I don't think I would want to switch it on and off with a toggle switch... it's seamless with good tuning. Activates with a brake pedal touch and no throttle input with the transmission braking.

Reactions: roswell

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Compared to just the factory T/H mode transmission braking, having a true turbo brake is night and day difference. Mine is EFI Live tuned on two separate tow tunes and I love having it driving through WV and PA. I bought my EFI Live through ATP/IdahoRob. No regrets.

I don't think I would want to switch it on and off with a toggle switch... it's seamless with good tuning. Activates with a brake pedal touch and no throttle input with the transmission braking.
When I first got the truck I wanted to put in a Y bridge, dsp5 switch with IdahoRob tunes, because I saw people were getting 20 mpg with them, but found out IdahoRob is no longer offering tunes. Looks like after 2018/19 the EPA has clamped things down and most trustworthy OG tuners have quit all together. I would prefer tuning in a switch but its been hard finding tuners with a good long standing reputation like ATP/IdahoRob. Looked in to tuning myself but most people willing to share their knowledge seem more interested in beating the $#1T out of their trucks and rolling coal rather than actually making them more functional/efficient.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, true. And without lots of equipment to test it, it's not worth the headache.

I realize this is extremely expensive, but it is thoroughly tested and engineered. If you haven't seen it... Banks SpeedBrake [61462] for 2006-2007 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 6.6L Duramax, LLY-LBZ
I've seen them on Powerstrokes before but never knew they had them for the Duramax, always thought it was a Pacbrake/Cummins sort of thing. I read the page, reviews and it seems pretty good, but yeah.. expensive. I already got pins for the ECM ordered, and should have the results on the built in Turbo brake in a week or two. I'm also taking this time to install a PCV oil catch/reroute that still has vacuum to the crankcase and reinforce the wiring harnesses from future rodents.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm also taking this time to install a PCV oil catch/reroute that still has vacuum to the crankcase .
Sounds like a good idea. Where'd you find it?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I think I'll have to play with this when I'm home. Seems quite doable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a good idea. Where'd you find it?
I'm building my own, I've looked at reroute kits and most remove the line to the intake and vent to the atmosphere, getting rid of the crankcase vacuum. Most of them seem pretty stupid imo, might as well just stick a filter over the hole in the valve cover, kits that keep the line to the intake are pretty pricey. I worked on a utility truck with an LQ4 that had a capture can that would return the oil through the PCV hole in the valvecover, so I'm gonna try to replicate that. I'm probably gonna pick up some PCV fittings from PPE, put a T fitting right off the the drivers side PCV fitting so there can be an oil return from the catchcan. I'm just struggling to find a catchcan the will fit well in the engine bay without requiring an abomination of tubing. I haven't had any oil consumption problems but its just making the intake horn and resonator dirty, plus the trucks goin on 220k+ miles now so the pistons rings are probably getting tired, might as well do it while i got things apart. I can show it when I'm done if anyones interested.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I'm very interested. Some version of a sump would be great. You should write it up for a DIY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts