Diesel Place banner

Emissions Tests

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  05 dmax 
#1 ·
Do any states currently do emissions tests on 2500 and 3500 Duramax diesels? I live in North Carolina, and inspections start with the 2007 model year. If there are states currently do emissions tests, how do you handle removing the CAT when inspection time arrives? Thanks

#2 ·
No test in California.

When the test comes....put the cat back on then go get tested.

#4 ·
Let me add a few details. The emissions tests in North Carolina, starting in 2007, is a hook up to the OBC in the truck. The inspector just reads out what the vehicle has stored about its emmisions. Since I have read in my owners manual that the emissions are measured over an extended period, you would probably have to reinstall the CAT several weeks ahead of time. And if you do a four inch exhaust then what. Just trying to understand if anyone has figured out all of this for me.

#6 · (Edited)
The emissions tests in North Carolina, starting in 2007, is a hook up to the OBC in the truck.
1. I assume that the new for 2007 N.C. emissions tests include diesels above 8500 lbs. gvwr, correct? (In many areas, diesel vehicles, or those above 8,500 are exempt).

2. If it's like other areas that only plug into the OBD-II connection, and don't actually test the exhaust at all, if the computer's memory is free of error codes, you're home free, regardless of what is actually coming out of the tailpipe.

I know for sure in some other states, they originally would test the tailpipe emissions of 1996 & newer (OBD-II) vehicles only if it flunked the computer test. More recently, some states stopped doing the tailpipe test as a backup, meaning that it has to pass the computer test. In that case (ironically) these "emissions tests" do not under any circumstances actually test the exhaust emissions.

#7 ·
The situation in 2007 in North Carolina, as I understand it, is the hose up the exhaust test is gone for all vehicles. Gas vehicles 1996 and newer get the OBC plug in test. Not sure of the GVWR question for diesels. I will try to check this out. This year there is no emissions test for diesels.

#11 ·
YES, in AZ. For years now. A plug-in test I believe, though I haven't brought it down yet. Here if you fail a plug-in test, you don't even get to try to pass based on tailpipe. You just have to get the codes cleared. What a scam.

#12 ·
Here in TX, '95 and older- safety only, visual only of emission componants (exhaust, air cleaner,exc.)
'96 and newer- safety only, plus plug in of DLC check for no codes.

Big plus is a gasser state inspecion is $39.50
Diesel $12.50

#13 ·
What code will pop up if you remove the cat? I looked in SI2000 at work and can't find any dtc's relating to a cat on the diesels.

#17 ·
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but I just got off the phone with the North Carolina DMV Emissions Testing Office and they know of no plans to include diesels in emissions testing in 2007.

#18 ·
Information is from the dealer. Hope you are correct. Will check into it further myself and see what a couple of sources have to say.

#19 ·
NV diesel smog regs:

Diesel-powered cars and trucks need an annual emissions test if they:

have a manufacturer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,000 pounds or less, and
are based in the urban areas of Clark or Washoe county, and
are 1968 model year or newer
(new vehicles on their first and second registration are exempted; a test is required upon a vehicle's third registration)

The emissions test for diesel vehicles is conducted on a dynamometer. Only a limited number of smog check locations offer this service.

I haven't gotten a diesel smog cert yet, but I hear it's expensive.Censored

#20 ·
mY 06 lly says CO emissions excempt:D

#21 ·
All diesels were exempt from the obd test. North Carolina just does the safety inspection that they have always done. I havent see anything adding them in 2007.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.