Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the dealer screwed me over. Brought it in for all the problems I was having and they parked it in the back 3 days ago and didnt work on it.

Biggest concern is this---> Ever since I installed the nictane filter kit I have a loud hollow clunking noise comming from the middle rear bed area (by the tank it seems) It sounds like the tank slapping on the frame. Myself, the dealer and a friend have all looked at it. The tank is tight (no movement) The dealer cant figure it out. I cant figure it out. Now Im leaving on a 3000 mile trip to sub zero temps. I dont know if Im going to be stranded by a broken truck at 10 below zero in the back country of Wyoming.

Its not the kit bracket hitting against the frame. I put some plastic between the two. Is there something inside the tank that could have broke loose? Is there a way the tank could be banging against something? Maybe Its not the tank at all. Its not a hard metalic knock like axels or driveshafts. It sounds like an empty gas tank being knocked on by a 2x4.

Any advice/ help would be very welcome...

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the slow reply. It actually started the weekend before I installed the nic kit now that I think of it. I bent the heat shield down to look at what I had to work with. It made the noise all the way home from my friends house. So is it possible that the heat shield is popping back and forth on the plastic keepers?

This noise is so frustrating. I have NOT installed the H2 takeoffs yet. The service guy at the dealer felt so bad about my truck not being finished he told me to come down tommorrow and he would give me a smokin deal on the H2 takeoff I wanted. If I can pick up a set for 200 It'll make up for the BS they put me through.

I will look at the spring thingy you guys said. The noise has a hollow plastic drum sound. It doesnt change when the tank is empty or full.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I feel safer driving 3k miles in sub 0 temps now. I will spend the entire day today under the truck getting it fixed if I can figure it out. Man I thought my days of gearhead wrenching were over. Now I just throw ben franklins at the dealer to do the work (or so I thought).

If you want the job done right.......

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 100w backup lights sit right underneath the rear bumper. They were sold as off road low profile fog lights. They are great for backing up off road. Local auto parts store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.