Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the dealer screwed me over. Brought it in for all the problems I was having and they parked it in the back 3 days ago and didnt work on it.

Biggest concern is this---> Ever since I installed the nictane filter kit I have a loud hollow clunking noise comming from the middle rear bed area (by the tank it seems) It sounds like the tank slapping on the frame. Myself, the dealer and a friend have all looked at it. The tank is tight (no movement) The dealer cant figure it out. I cant figure it out. Now Im leaving on a 3000 mile trip to sub zero temps. I dont know if Im going to be stranded by a broken truck at 10 below zero in the back country of Wyoming.

Its not the kit bracket hitting against the frame. I put some plastic between the two. Is there something inside the tank that could have broke loose? Is there a way the tank could be banging against something? Maybe Its not the tank at all. Its not a hard metalic knock like axels or driveshafts. It sounds like an empty gas tank being knocked on by a 2x4.

Any advice/ help would be very welcome...

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
the ever since ya makes me worried, I would, and I am sure you already have, go over each and every bolt on that install and make sure all is ok. Does the noise change with or w/ afull tank of fuel?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine did the same thing and the dealer a installed rubber spacer between the springs. This started at about 27,000 miles and it does seem to have helped the "clunk noise".

I have the 45 gallon tank and the noise is gone when the tank is filled.

Edited by: gottago

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Tank is plastic, so I would assume the clanging is somewhere els.

Shock insulators on the rear springs will cause a racket if missing.

They are round disks on the large rear leaf springs.

Look for one or both missing.

It is a known problem.

T
NY

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My guess that something happened coincidental to your Nicktane install and not related at all. Like others, I'm guessing its the leafspring pads are missin' or the spare tire is a lil loose. Wouldn't hurt to chk the lugnuts torque on bother rear wheels and second look at the driveline components. 3K miles is a long way and WY cold is very cold. Do we recall you doin' some tire enlargement? You're hard to keep up with
Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the slow reply. It actually started the weekend before I installed the nic kit now that I think of it. I bent the heat shield down to look at what I had to work with. It made the noise all the way home from my friends house. So is it possible that the heat shield is popping back and forth on the plastic keepers?

This noise is so frustrating. I have NOT installed the H2 takeoffs yet. The service guy at the dealer felt so bad about my truck not being finished he told me to come down tommorrow and he would give me a smokin deal on the H2 takeoff I wanted. If I can pick up a set for 200 It'll make up for the BS they put me through.

I will look at the spring thingy you guys said. The noise has a hollow plastic drum sound. It doesnt change when the tank is empty or full.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Problemchild,

Mine makes a similar noise, but it seems to be coming from somewhere near the front of the left rear springs. At first I thought the filter bracket might be hitting something, but I can't move it manually into contact with anything, so that's probably not it. I've also wondered whether some diesel spilled during the Nicktane installation washed away a lubricating medium between the leaves, but that's probably nuts, too, although I don't hear the noise when the undercarriage is wet from rain. It appears to be related to the springs and also appears to have no affect on the operation of the truck at all. Everything back there is tight, but I'll let you know if the rear axle falls off.

TC

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i have 2 thoughts.. when i first got my truck i had a a fuel rail come loose and truck was covered in diesel, all the way to the hitch. after the dealer cleaned it up (truck was stock at the time) it would clunk whenever i would go over bumps or potholes, etc. they said it was the leaf springs. they lubed them and it lasted about a week. they couldn't figure out what it was so they replaced the leaf springs and my problem has been fine.. and i've also seen many trucks missing the round plastic bushings on the lowest leaf spring..

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
problem, did u have the truck on a lift?

If u lift it by the frame and not the axles the springs don't have weight on them and the plastic pad/cushions could have fallen out like GMC 2002 questions.

I think to TSB on the springs checks to see if they are still in and replace if not.

Get it too make the sound and get some spray lube and spray the spring packs one side at a time and see if u can pin it down.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I feel safer driving 3k miles in sub 0 temps now. I will spend the entire day today under the truck getting it fixed if I can figure it out. Man I thought my days of gearhead wrenching were over. Now I just throw ben franklins at the dealer to do the work (or so I thought).

If you want the job done right.......

·
Registered
74 Posts
Problemchild

Can't give any more advise than you already have on the noise problem. However, can you tell me more about your "100W backup lights"?? Are they replacment bulbs that fit the stock housing or add ons? Where did you get them, price, etc.

Since I live in the dark 6 months out of the year I would loike to find some super bright back-up light that will safely fin in the stock housing.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 100w backup lights sit right underneath the rear bumper. They were sold as off road low profile fog lights. They are great for backing up off road. Local auto parts store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts