Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Could anyone tell me why this fuse keeps blowing? What to look for?
The truck is a Chevrolet Suburban 1996 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
This fuse first blew about a month ago. Once I figured out that it was the fuse I replaced it and it has run well ever since. Now the fuse blew again. I recognized the problem, replaced the fused, drove it a few feet and it blew again. Now it is even blowing before the engine cranks over.
If I can't find the solution on line, does anyone know a good mechanic in Montreal that I can take it to?
Thanks,
Sandy

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
:welcome2: Welcome to the site Sandy, we still need some more info,

Go through the welcome notes in my signature for informtion how to update yours. Can you provide the socket number of the fuse that keeps blowing, is it the cab fuse center, or the one under hood by brake master cylinder

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has the vehicle always been running when the fuse blew, or has the fuse blown when cranking ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your response. I have added the information to my signature as you have requested. The fuse which is blowing is the one by the brake booster and when I pull the cover off and turn it over it indicates that this fuse slot is EMC-B, 20amp. Are you looking for something different on the fuse information?
Now, I am unsure whether the signature will be inserted in this message?
Sandy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuse blown

kena;1602989; said:
Has the vehicle always been running when the fuse blew, or has the fuse blown when cranking ?
Hi Kena,
The vehicle has always been running when the fuse blew. But beginning this morning the fuse is blowing after turning on the ignition.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Welcome Sandy.

Have you done any work under the hood lately? Moved any wires around?

I hade the same problem with a 96 gasser a few years back. Took a while to find.......but it was a short in the wiring harness that runs under the brake booster to the rear of the engine.
Over time the engine shakes and will rub the rubber sheathing off the wires in some areas. When I did some work on the motor, I must have moved the wires and now it shorted out on me.
Hey....I know it's a bit of a story, but hope it helps. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are four orange wires coming off that fuse. Two wires provide +12v to the PCM (the computer box), one wire to terminal B1 of the Fuel Pump Relay and one wire to terminal C of the Oil Pressure Sensor.

The Fuel Pump Relay turns the Lift Pump on while cranking, then the Oil Pressure Switch keeps the Lift Pump running when the oil pressure reaches 4.5 lbs.

So you can look for a short in the Lift Pump itself or in the grey wire connected to terminal A3 of the Fuel Pump Relay, the grey wire connected to terminal B of the Oil Pressure Sensor or the grey wire connected to the Instrument Cluster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem solved

I would like to thank everyone for all of the help. This morning I checked the lift pump wiring and found that it was grounded to the frame. After fixing this problem the truck is running perfectly.
Many thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts