Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Cognito about the 10-12 lift kit and they told me i would need a CV driveline, and depending on the cab and bed length of my truck i would need to lengthen the driveshaft(s)

what is the cv driveline? is that the cv axles? or the front driveshaft? with a Crew cab long bed do i need to lengthen the driveshaft? how the heck do you do that?

i know lots of questions but anyone that can help it would be appreciated more than you know.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep. they finally explained it. front driveshaft

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
You will most likely have to have the drive shaft worked on. As far as the front CV's go, you will need to have longer ones to correct for the lift. They will shorten as you lift the truck and be out of proper angulation. With the increased length then you should have no issues. Might want to consider SD tie rod sleeves as well to help with the torsion or turning and bouncing. Good luck

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GMC thanks for the info. cognito has a driveshaft bearing spacer to cure the rear shaft problems. and cv axle spacers to correct for the lift.SD tie rod sleeves are on the way.the guy at cognito(chad) was extremely vague in his answers the first time i contacted them and only confused me more earlier on today. then he straightened me out a few minutes ago.

and for anyone wondering.on Cognitos site it indicates all you need is the Front lift system,shocks,and either rear springs or blocks. You also need a new longer front driveshaft and on CC/LB's you need a rear driveshaft spacer to install the 10-12 on a HD. the website does not tell you that info.

·
Registered
266 Posts
CV = constant velocity. The u joint configuration in the shaft you have now has maximum run angles that the big lift exceedes. CV shafts allow more angle in their use.

·
Registered
633 Posts
the 7-9 should not require any new fron drive shaft.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
nope...doesnt need one...its a really nice kit.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What up Brian @ NCT. Tell Nick that NELSON said hi.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
10-12" cognito

I have a 12" cognito on my 05 dm and yes you do have to lengthen the front driveshaft. you probably do not need a front cv though. If you do, what it is, is putting in cv into your front driveshaft, this is only required if you are getting a vibration out of the front end, typically at higher speeds.

d/m on 20's

·
Registered
171 Posts
no you do not need one for the 7-9" kit only for the 10-12"

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since i do not know where to buy a longer driveshaft and do not know how to lengthen one im forced to buy the cv driveshaft. as a bonus i will not have the drivetrain vibration.

TSLiftkits has the cv driveshaft for $195 :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
B-rad,

There are several companies that will lengthen your existing shaft. Tom Woods, Whittier Driveline, etc. Any shop that balances should be able to also retube, which is what lengthening requires. Whan are you performing the lift??

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it will be about 6-8 weeks from now depending on tire availability :( ....thats good info to know.thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
since i do not know where to buy a longer driveshaft and do not know how to lengthen one im forced to buy the cv driveshaft. as a bonus i will not have the drivetrain vibration.

TSLiftkits has the cv driveshaft for $195 :)
Don't cheap out with the TS driveline, you will be sorry. By a nicer driveline.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't cheap out with the TS driveline, you will be sorry. By a nicer driveline.
no recommendations on where to get one?

thanks Norcal :ro)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
SO NO I DONT NEED THE FRONT DRIVELINE
if im going with the 7-9" set at 7"
i dont wanna cheap out...but if i dont need it i can manage to find another place to spend my money

1 - 20 of 23 Posts