Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave my high idle on to make sure it warms up quick in the morning, but it has only worked twice, and that was when I was in the mountains and it was about 30 degrees outside or so. I know you have to let it sit for about 30 seconds before it kicks in, and when you push the brake it idles back down. It doesnt seem to work when i'm back home in 40-50 degree weather. Does my Edge kit have something to do with this?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
It only works when it is below freezing.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
It sounds to me like it's working just as it was designed to. The factory auto-high idle only function in colder weather. I believe the manual says something like 32 degrees, but I've had that vary some on mine.

If you want to have high idle at your command, you'll have to install a pin in the ECM like a lot of us have done. It's cheap and works excellent!

See Max Power's great write-up:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17853

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
I used EFI Live to customize the operation temps. The Operating temp is set to 41°f and is measured with the IAT/MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mine works just like yours. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mine worked fine this am, it was 35 deg. outside and my rearview mirrow said ICE mine kicked in just fine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The way they are set up from the factory is that the coolant Temp has to be below 150 and the ambient air temp has to be below 35 before it will kick in. If one of those parameters is not met, it won't idle up. If you hit the break and or the gas pedal, it will idle back down. Thats how it works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks. I figured it must have to be so cold being that both times it worked it was below freezing.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500hd (on order)
305 Posts
high idle

i havent seen my truck high idle yet, does it have a factory high idle or is that something i have to do on my own?

·
Registered
515 Posts
You have to turn it on threw the steering wheel controls, pull up elavated idle and turn it on, puls the motor has to be cold and the outside has to be 32 gegrees or colder.Pull out you owners manual,its in there

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
turn the key to ON with the truck off
push accelerator to the floor and hold it there
stab brakes 3 times within 8 seconds
let off accelerator
start truck

that's how you activate it in a truck with no DIC. do it once, i believe, and it will highidle whenever it's in those parameters.

KENNEDY,

41degrees? is that what you set it at or what it is stock? what's all this below 32F business i read in the manuals?

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I've had mine idle up as high as 38 degrees. I think its also got something to do with the MAF readings with humidity also. I've also seen it NOT ilde up at 33 degrees. And I found that the winter cover tends to "warm" the outside temp readings as well.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500hd (on order)
305 Posts
high idle

i dont have the DIC steering wheel controls, i can i still do it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i dont have the DIC steering wheel controls, i can i still do it?

turn the key to ON with the truck off
push accelerator to the floor and hold it there
stab brakes 3 times within 8 seconds
let off accelerator
start truck

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
KENNEDY,

41degrees? is that what you set it at or what it is stock? what's all this below 32F business i read in the manuals?
I've seen it at 41°f stock IIRC. I set mine to 65°f because the IAT sensor is being skewed by underhood air influences as well as headlight heat, and possibly by the heated element in the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
that ice thing is right. i've gone outside on a cold day (no ice) and the mirror said 26, then the next day (it had rained that night) it said ICE, and there was ice. don't know how it does it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It doesnt just work when its freezing, it works when you turn it on. Use the DIC to turn it on and i checked my manual and it says if you touch the brake pedal it turns it off. So that might be it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It works very well in cold weather. -20 to -10 F, it idles up within 20 seconds of startup. Winter front fools the under hood temps sometimes.
In very cold weather -35 F or so, coming off the highway and let it idle a while, it will idle up after the engine cools down to the 150 F water temp. Idles down after engine warms again, cycles all day and night if you don't shut it down first.

Turnpike
2500HD, CC, LLY/Allison, Stock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts