Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I converted my cruise control from the vacuum servo cruise to electronic cruise from a newer vehicle (in this case a '95 G3500). I'll try to be as detailed as I can....

I will say that I might have done more than is needed, but I wanted it clean and to get rid of anything unnecessary from the old system... Meaning the whole harness/vac hoses that go from in the cab out to the servo, the cruise module under the dash.... and I put the whole new harness in a wire loom so it looked neat/was all together...

First you need to know what wires are going to do what.

On the cruise module plug this is what the pins and wire colors are on mine. The wire colors may vary a little but the pins will be the same.

A - Gray - Cruise On/Off
B - Blue - Set/Coast
C - Green - Resume/Accelerate
D - Purple - Hot 12V from brake switch
E - Black - Ground
F - Pink w/white stripe - Hot 12V in Run
G - White - Brake applied 12V
H - Not used - Cruise Inhibit
J - White w/plug - Cruise Engaged status (light?)
K - Yellow - VSS

Here's the truck side wires.

Gray - Cruise On/Off
Blue - Set/Coast
Green - Resume/Accelerate
Yellow - VSS
Black - Ground
Red - Hot 12V in Run
Gray/black stripe - Hot 12V from brake switch
White - Brake Applied 12V

So the wiring part basically just requires that you splice the right ones together.... It helps if you've gotten as much wire on the cruise module plug as you could from the donor...

Here's where I mounted my module...

Working on the wiring and pulling the old stuff out...

I had to custom make an end for the cable that would fit on my IP...

New end on and before I smashed the old one off...

Had to customize the bracket that the cable end goes to on the IP too...

Before...

Working on it...

After...

If I think of anything I forgot I'll add it when I remember.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Very nice work/write up Joe. Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
770 Posts
now all you need is a electronic speedo :p: i should find out today, but i dont know if that bracket will clear your dual thermostat crossover. i know the the brackets would hit if you keep your stock thermostat housing, and by roughly holding my dual stat one up in the area it looks like that bracket on the ip will be in the way of the outlet.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
93's had a DB2 with Cruise I always suspected that would work but had no idea how to wire it. I know where there is a 93 right now in the junky with the cruise box. I should grab that huh ?

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
Nice write up, gonna save this info for down the road.
It should be in DIY section.

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now all you need is a electronic speedo :p: i should find out today, but i dont know if that bracket will clear your dual thermostat crossover. i know the the brackets would hit if you keep your stock thermostat housing, and by roughly holding my dual stat one up in the area it looks like that bracket on the ip will be in the way of the outlet.

I don't know if it will clear the dual stat one or not either.... Guess I'll find out when I get an IP for my 6.5.... If it doesn't, oh well... I've still got my cutoff wheel and welder :p:

Thanks for the compliments guys. :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where is the VSS? Would my '90 V3500 have one? No cruise from factory...

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where is the VSS? Would my '90 V3500 have one? No cruise from factory...
If it's a mechanical speedometer (which yours should be) the VSS is part of the speedo.... There's a plug that screws into the back of it that connects it to the buffer that the cruise control is hooked up to that you would have to find....

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The darn PO ripped out all my cruise in my 86.... It has a few parts for it here and there.... Very nice work Joe! If I start to drive my truck more this might be in order!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Joe,

I found our old write up here searching the web and have a few questions about adding cruise to my CUCV.

I obtained the correct 6.2 Servo bracket and linkage. I have the harness and vacuum tube ran as well as the module mounted above the gas pedal and I installed a tilt wheel so have the turn signal stalk with the cruise button and resume switch. I still need to install mount the vacuum brake switch and the VSS Speedo Head but have seen several different colors of VSS modules and wondered if there is a difference in Diesel vs Gasser or did the colors just change through the newer years. (yellowish, light green, light blue)

If this does not work I will look for the newer electronic setup like you did. Is there particular years or models to pull from or what year start and cutoff would be?

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you've got it figured out.

As far as I know the colors just changed through the years.

I pulled mine from a mid 90's G-30 van, but the same unit was used in several different years and models.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
By the way there's A LOT EASIER way to do this with even better components:

Cruise Control Kits

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
By the way there's A LOT EASIER way to do this with even better components:

Cruise Control Kits
Yes, if you have no existing cruise and your washer switch is on the dash. But if its on the signal lever with the cruise this system isn't that great to fit in. Unless you want the separate controller you place somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Yes, if you have no existing cruise and your washer switch is on the dash. But if its on the signal lever with the cruise this system isn't that great to fit in. Unless you want the separate controller you place somewhere else.
Nothing's free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forgot to ask before...does the square body like my 85 Blazer with 6.2 Diesel Cruise Control have the big vacuum ball reservoir in its application? If it does, where was it mounted?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Forgot to ask before...does the square body like my 85 Blazer with 6.2 Diesel Cruise Control have the big vacuum ball reservoir in its application? If it does, where was it mounted?
It didn't. That was called a vacuum reservoir.

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts