Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Was just reading about these: http://www.hortoninc.com/products/products.asp

Look at the "EC450". This seems to combine the best of both worlds - direct drive fan plus accurate coolant temp sensing. Anyone tried one of these? What do you think?

Rob :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
$ is my first thought!........and cool if it works better to control temp than a severe duty fan clutch........but nobody's ever even brought this option up, got to be a reason........Is this a brand new type of fan clutch?.......or have these electomagnetic fan clutches always been available?

Louis

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like it's only intended for real heavy duty applications.
Tried to look up a model for the 6.5 and no luck.
All the big iron is there, Class 5, 6, 7 trucks, motor homes, busses, etc.
It looks like there is a model for a four bolt water pump. You'd no doubt be doing some fabrication and fitting to make it work on our rigs.
From a Controls Engineer point of view it's better than the viscous clutch but that always comes at a price. Couldn't find a price but I'm guessing they are at least double the cost of Kennedy's clutch.
Mike

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
That looks similar to what the 03+ common rail CUMMINS in the DODGE trucks use. Many DODGE owners HATE THEM!! There rather pricey, and do fail on a pretty regular basis from what i read on the 03's and early 04's. Good thery behind it though. Eliminates the problem of fan engagement, or lack of cooling for the A/C condenser on hot days in traffic.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
"Missygoodwrench" here installed a magnetic drive on a 6.5. IIRC it was a Ford OEM & she modified the mount area to fit a 6.5 4bolt. Do not attempt to coverup a chronic overheating problem with a fan. Look for & fix the REAL cause , !!!. JMO

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4doorTahoe, I agree on the 'covering up a problem' part. I was just admiring the engineering thought that seems to have gone into the design. For example, electrics are excellent when you don't need heavy cooling- they don't stress the engine when not needed, and they keep running when at idle or when rock crawling, etc. They don't do well (i.e. don't move enough air) under heavy loads. The viscous coupling fans do very well under heavy load, but they are always engaged (to some extent - i.e. the electrics are not running AT ALL when you first start out in the AM, but the viscous fans are always spinnin' that thing regardless of temp. The mass of the fan is always connected to the engine.)

Sincerely,

Rob :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ya unfortunally the power used to turn the fan is a drag on power at the wheel. I think the electro/mechanical would be a step in the right directon to have, "overall' more power available. Someone could be a hero if they solved an adpation of the E/M fan to our trucks. I see the 1999/2000 water pump & a LBZ composite fan blade & fan clutch hub to be the best solution for the masses. KennedyDiesel has a great Severe duty fan clutch hub & is a proponet of the 10 blade steel fan blade. It is very noisy engaged & creates a high drag on power to the wheel,but it keeps the engine cool in conjunction with the radiator. Leaky / drizzling injectors can create uncontrollable cylinder temps though,epecially if the exhaust is stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts