Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'84 6.2 D Auto, had the gauges out, fixed them, then shorted a couple of power wires I had rigged in to power an extra rear light and the other to my high idle switch... now I have nothing when I turn on the key and try to start, my headlights and gauge lights work fine, all fuses are good, what else?

Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Isn't there 2 or 3 little wires from the starter stud going up the back of the block?

I think one runs to the headlights, and one to the ignition switch, I think they are fusible links, atleast one of them is, if not all of them.

Find the wires, where they come up the back of the engine and probe them, there should be power on atleast 2 of them, if not you burnt the link. You can replace the link, or bypass it with a jumper wire.

Atleast that is where I would start.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Traveler, I'll be on it in the AM.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If when you attempt to start your truck and get no reaction from the starter I would remove the battery wires at the ground side and check the large terminal in the starter. This terminal is the point from which GM distributes all power and over time it tends to loosen to a point that it will not carry the starter load but will carry lesser loads such as the lights.

If you get a half turn or so on this terminal that should solve your problem for a short period of time. Eventualy the post will loosen in the insulating material on the seliniod and turn free. at that point you will need a new selinoid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Traveler said:
Isn't there 2 or 3 little wires from the starter stud going up the back of the block?

I think one runs to the headlights, and one to the ignition switch, I think they are fusible links, atleast one of them is, if not all of them.

Find the wires, where they come up the back of the engine and probe them, there should be power on atleast 2 of them, if not you burnt the link. You can replace the link, or bypass it with a jumper wire.

Atleast that is where I would start.

Thanks a lot that's exactly what it was. I replaced the fusable link and it works great.

Thanks again,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts