Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have an electrical short somwhere in the truck. My batteries went dead several weeks ago and I thought I just needed new ones. I got new ones but now the truck is dead, no battery at all. Should I just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it? Has the edge been known to cause problems like that? I swear this is the last vehicle I try to do modifications on myself.
Rico

·
Registered
204 Posts
aw come one, that's half the fun!! Don't quit on us yet!

alternator charging at correct voltage??
any accessories of the aftermarket electrical variety installed??
so, you're killing both batteries...in a matter of how long?
you're sure everything turns off when you take out your key and open the door?
do you have an under-hood light...does it turn off?
do the brake lights stay on because of a bad switch/misadjusted switch?
look for something stupid....we've all done it at some point, or almost did.

If all else fails....
pull both batteries' grounds and connect a test light between the neg cable and the neg batt terminal on the main battery. Make sure all interior lights and such are off so you don't cause a false drain reading. I'd tell ya to use a multimeter, but you're probably gonna blow the fuse in the meter if the draw is that amp-full, so use a test light.The light's probably really bright right? Pull fuses one at a time and note the test light. When she dims down to a low glow, you found the culprit circuit. Then just see what's on that fuse and rule out components one at a time.

-mike

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I would guess the alt. too, unhook the batteries when you hook them back up do you see a spark?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I can help you diagnose it. Make sure your battery cables are tight.

Do you have a digital multi meter?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got a jump and got the truck restarted. I unhooked the Edge and got back to my friends place and just unhooked the batteries. I do have a multimeter just not with me right now. I will be heading back home on Saturday. I will take you up on the help. I did notice when I unhooked the battery that there was a sticky material on one of the battery terminals. Any idea what this is? Hopefully I can hook it all back up in the morning and it will fire right up. So here is the story.

I have had the edge on for a little less than a year. Around November, the batteries died twice and finally now in January, they were toast. The truck is an '02 so 4 years on the batteries seemed good. I replaced them with new ones. Everything was fine until this morning. I started the truck and drove about 5 feet and it sputtered and the transmission disengaged. I put it in park, and then back in drive and it did it again. I pulled into a parking space, restarted the truck and everything was fine. I went to the aquarium in San Diego and was in there for about 2 hours. I came out and the truck didnt start on the first try, but started just fine on the second. Fine... From there went an watched a two hour movie. When I came out from the movie, everything was dead. No interior lights, the keyless entry would not even work. Had to get roadside assistance to come and give me a jump. That puts me to now. I disconnected the batteries, not knowing if it would just do the same thing again. I will take the batteries in tomorrow to get them tested.

As far as aftermarket stuff is concerned, I put a new deck in, the edge, and AFE intake. The edge is out now. I am 13 hours away from home so I am not gonna take any chances right now. I will most likely just unhook the battery anytime the truck is off until I can get home and deal with it unless someone in San Diego can take the time out to help me. I appreciate everyone's replys.
Rico

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
When are you going back home?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saturday most likely.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
You have a PM now I'm going to bed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I thought I would bring this back up...

I made it back home. I left the battery connected and all and it never died again. I hooked the edge back up and it never died again. The only thing different is I unhooked the subwoofer power cable that I had connected. There was never a fuse in when all this was happening. The only thing I can think of is the battery cables had a poor connection, the subwoofer cable was still leaking somehow (doesnt really seem reasonable without a fuse in), or some other freak thing that I am not aware of. Has this happened to anyone before?

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Odd

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How would a Fuse, " keep it from leaking" ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The subwoofer cable is connected to the positive battery terminal. There is an inline fuse on the cable. I took the fuse out. Therefore, there is no connection...only through the plastic piece that holds the fuse. That is the only physical piece holding the two sides of the wires together, no conductors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts