Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I was cranking my truck over, the starter locked in and stuck. I turned off the ignition switch and smacked the starter with a hammer and it released. After several starts later it locked again, so I bolted on a new starter.

Now when you turn the key on the Service Engine Soon and Service Throttle soon lights come on and they flash along with the speedo needle pulsing. This started doing this right after the first time the starter stuck and fried the battery terminals.

I replaced the left to right positive cable end to a top post...then put the starter cable on the side by itself.

As you are facing the engine, ooking at the firewall there is a black component to the right of the fuel filter. It has a red(Hot?) wire on one lug then has some grey wires on the other lug and I believe there is a plug on the back. This keeps clicking as the gages pulsate.

What is that component?

Could all of this be caused by a bad ignition switch? If so where is the ign switch located on the collum.

All help is greatly appreciated. If it wasn't for you guys here...I would have already been forced to buy marchmallows and have a big bonfire.

Not sure if I have a sig on here or not...truck is 1994 GMC 4 door dually, auto trans, new pdm, tcs and other goodies

Bill

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
If you fried the positive cables, the negative terminals are probably in similar condition. Take a very good look at your ground connections.

That device that you described is most likely the glow plug relay.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
might want to look for a fuse-able link in the starter wiring that maybe partially blown or something else the was damaged when the starter stuck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help

I noticed I don't have much power going to the dash. The headlights won't light and the elec locks barely work. I have noticed my ign switch being flakey so first thing is to replace it.

Does anybody know how the power gets to the switch? Does it come from the battery to the switch, then to the fuse block?

It is really frustrating but I appreciate everybodys help.

Bill

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
follow the positive cable from the driver's battery. You'll see that it goes to the fuse block directly. Headlights and electronics not working. I'll bet money that you fried a ground cable as well. Use your jumper cables to make a temporary ground from the negative terminal on the battery to the engine block. See if that brings back your electronics. Try this on both batteries.

test those batteries too. If you fried your starter wire, batteries may be suspect?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts