Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my truck yesterday and when I turned the key to initiate the glows all I got was a lot of flashing indicator lights. (service throttle, ABS, Water in Fuel, Battery...etc.). It would not start. I could hear some relays clicking under the hood and that was it. I figured it may be a battery issue and hooked my trickle charge up to it over night and it started fine the next morning, but I noticed that my voltage gauge was up near 15v which seems high. After driving it for about an hour the gauge dropped down to just below 14v which is where it normally is. It started up fine this morning, but again the voltage guage seemed high so I left it running for about a half hour until it dropped down again.

Does this sound like a battery/poor connection issue? If not, any thoughts on what it could be.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Sounds like a poor battery connection to me. Make sure you check the connections at the Pass side batt. where the two cables connect. This can often be the problem. It may be a good time to give both batteries a load test. You may have one going south.
Not to make you feel down, but when my alt. started to go, it also would send a higher charge for a while, then go back to normal......then it would stop charging altogether.
Hope this helps?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to update, It was definitely the battery connections. They were both extremely corroded. I replaced both batteries and the passenger side cables about a year and a half ago, so I was a bit skeptical at first but new instantly that it was the problem when I pulled the cables off the battery and looked at the connectors.

I'm thinking about making the switch to top terminals when the time comes for new batteries. These side connectors just seem a little troublesome.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
acruxksa;1572465; said:
Just to update, It was definitely the battery connections. They were both extremely corroded. I replaced both batteries and the passenger side cables about a year and a half ago, so I was a bit skeptical at first but new instantly that it was the problem when I pulled the cables off the battery and looked at the connectors.

I'm thinking about making the switch to top terminals when the time comes for new batteries. These side connectors just seem a little troublesome.
I hate those side terminals also. stupid idea. period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts