Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put on an electric fan on the dmax yet???? I thought i read that somebody did and they didn't get a hp gain. I don't know why you wouldn't get a gain, as that fan has got to use up some energy. If i remember correctly i think it gave the 7.3 15-20 hp more with an electric, so why not on our truck. Just curious why i haven't heard or seen talk about it.................15-20 extra ponies is 15-20 extra ponies in my book...........could gain an extra 10th of a sec, or a couple extra feet in a pull

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The current fan only draws about 1 -3 Hp when not engaged so there is little to no gains to be had during normal driving. When the clutch fully engages it draws 25 - 30 Hp, but and electric fan places a load on the batteries so the Alt. starts loading the motor to replace the energy used. The Alt. uses 8 - 10 Hp when charging so there is a net gain under these conditions of about 15 - 20 Hp. If your only looking for the gains for drag raceing you could remove the fan when racing and watch the coolant temps so as not to cause damage. I'm not sure if you could get away with it pulling a sled.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmmmmm. Probably a little too risky with no fan for pulling, at least one im not willing to take. I guess it boils down to how much $$$$ for 15-20hp gains.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I seriously doubt that an electric fan would be sufficient to cool your 674.9 horsepower beast. Most electric fans are rated to cool motors with less than 300 HP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Believe it or not, some of the best electric fans are not the top name (or at least the names you usually hear) after market fans. Lots of the off-road guys use the 2 speed Taurus fan as well as the tbird SC and such which flow WAY more than most after market. But they pull something like 60+ amps at startup so it needs a charging system like the diesels run to keep it happy. Some of the rock buggy guys have trouble with the charging system keeping up. You can also use the one from <st1:City><st1:place>Lincoln</st1:place></st1:City> Mk7(?) which flows a lot but is much quieter. These flow as much as twice what you'll get out of most of the Summit/Jegs crop of $200+ electric fans and they will last longer too.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
BadDog said:
Believe it or not, some of the best electric fans are not the top name (or at least the names you usually hear) after market fans. Lots of the off-road guys use the 2 speed Taurus fan as well as the tbird SC and such which flow WAY more than most after market. But they pull something like 60+ amps at startup so it needs a charging system like the diesels run to keep it happy. Some of the rock buggy guys have trouble with the charging system keeping up. You can also use the one from <st1:City><st1:place>Lincoln</st1:place></st1:City> Mk7(?) which flows a lot but is much quieter. These flow as much as twice what you'll get out of most of the Summit/Jegs crop of $200+ electric fans and they will last longer too.

Absolutly right. Most aftermarket fans are junk, just look at their CFM rating. I have 2 junkyard OEM fans on my beater street car and the temp never gets above 160.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ron at suncoast has an electric fan on his 7.3 that sounds like a t-rex when it cuts on and moves air at a unbelievable pace.......I'll try to find out what brandEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
CYCLONE FAN MAYBE?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do tell more about these fans!

I installed fans on my old mini truck (2000 Z71)
and it would get to hot when towing. Worked great other wise!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
One must remeber that a pulling truck doesn't pull for very long.............. maybe 30 seconds. So if the motor was cool at the start of the pull you would not need alot of fan to keep it cool but you would need to allow it to run with fan on at idle for sometime after each pull to allow cool down. I think one of the cheaper type fans would do fine for this. I would not use this for everyday pulling of trailers or over the road towing as they willnot cut it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The Principle Behind the Cyclone

A stock engine fan clutch is designed to operate continuously, regardless of drivetrain temperatures. Whenever the fan is operating it is a parasitic draw on both horsepower and fuel economy. The Cyclone Power Fan is designed to recoup this continual loss of power and performance.

Extensive tests on Ford V-10 and PowerStroke vehicles show that the engine fan on these vehicles are typically needed for cooling only 2% of the time. In normal driving conditions, 98% of the time, ram air is sufficient to keep the drivetrain cool. the fan is needed when outside temperatures are excessive, or when a vehicle is sitting stationary for a long period of time. In all other operating conditions the fan is simply a drain on power and fuel.

The Logic of the Cyclone

The Cyclone is designed to automatically disengage the fan when outside temperatures and normal ram air is sufficient to cool the drivetrain. Remember, most of the time there is sufficient air created from normal acceleration to keep the engine cool without running the fan.

The Cyclone also will engage the fan, when operating conditions warrant added cooling. But unlike the stock fan clutch, the Cyclone Power Fan synchronizes the fan's rotation to each engine revolution, spinning it much faster than the stock fan clutch. This improved technology provides much improved cooling to the engine and transmission.

With the Cyclone installed, there is a marked difference in air conditioner performance. There will be a dramatic increase in coolness and improved air volume.

Fluid Thermistor Control Unit Harnesses The Wind For More Power And Performance

The Cyclone Power Fan replaces the factory, or original equipment, fan clutch. The O.E. fan clutch is controlled by changes only in air temperature. Working on the same principle as an electromagnetic air conditioner compressor clutch, the Cyclone Power Fan completely disengages the stock fan or engages it on an as-need basis as determined by a state-of-the-art, fluid thermistor control unit.

The attractive control unit is conveniently mounted in the cab and has two main features: 1) a manual override option to activate high-powered cooling control and, 2) thermistor fluid sensors that read changes in outside temperature, engine coolant and transmission fluid temperature. As the outside temperature rises, throttle position changes, or as coolant fluid temperature changes, indicating stressful operating conditions, the Cyclone will engage the fan for added cooling to the engine and cab. A highly visible power light on the unit indicates when the Cyclone has engaged or disengaged the fan.

New Technology Reaps Rewards In Power And Performances

When the fan is disengages, expect a significant increase in horsepower and fuel mileage. Dyno tests repeatedly show gains of 40 more horsepower and an increase in fuel mileage on Ford PowerStroke and V-10 vehicles.

Downhill braking performance is improved with the Cyclone. In downhill towing when braking is most stressful to the vehicle, use the Cyclone to manually engage the fan and safely add powerful retarding horsepower to slow the momentum of your vehicle.

The Value Of The Cyclone

The Cyclone Power Fan is a better overall value than either power chips or performance headers and exhaust systems in delivering horsepower, performance and fuel savings. Priced substantially less, the Cyclone delivers the same increase in horsepower and fuel savings, but only the Cyclone delivers improved air conditioner performance, improved cooling to the engine and transmission and can assist with engine braking.

The Cyclone has a big performance impact for a relatively low price. Unlike performance power chips, the Cyclone does not need calibration. And unlike performance exhaust systems, the Cyclone does not in any way effect emissions.

The Cyclone, hands

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
That fan clutch has been around along time. It is not a new fan but a replacement fan clutch and you use the orginal fan. It will not gain you any Hp, but under hot conditions if you were to turn it off you would see an increase at the rear tire of about 25Hp. The problem is when the fan needs to be on there is no gain! I've run on the dyno both with and without the fan and found only a few Hp difference, so 40 Hp is a pipe dream. Since the Cyclone fan clutch locks 100% and the stock fan clutch doesnot it may cause the fan to be on for a shorter time frame but that's it!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
oh well,........WTF......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts