Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see mention in several online fourms about the 5.3 and 6.0 guys switching over to DUAL thermostatically controlled variable speed, electric fans in lieu of the engine driven clutch fan. They're claiming close to a 20hp gain, and I fully believe this. Flex-a-lites new kit for the gas powered GM trucks states that it pulls 5600 cfm on high.

Over the years I learned that the stock clutch type fans can pull close to 9000 cfm at higher RPM's.

Mainly I saw negative comments about the electrics on the diesel related fourms. Simply because of the heat these engines generate, they NEED a LOT of air moved. But I'm asking specifically for a gas engined truck.

My concerns are when towing around town or snowplowing. This is NORMALLY a low RPM, low speed operation. Wouldn't a constant 5600 cfm at IDLE or slightly above be better than what can be achieved from the stock clutch fan at 1500-2500rpm? Plus in traffic on a 100 degree day with A/C on high, wouldn't an electric setup be king?

Just wondering if anyone has used these NEW dual electrics while towing and working them hard?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have used a set of fans from an LS1 camaro on my 4.8 in conjunction with a cooler thermostat (160* with tuning) and they keep my truck cool at any outside temperature. I know that the Flex-a-lite's flow more air than the LS1 fans so I am sure that they will work just fine. If you do electric fans, it is worth the money spent for the cooler t-stat and the programming needed (I suggest an LS1 edit if you have a newer truck) with the cooler stat is just a good power adder!

I have towed with them and the truck still stays cool, at freeway speed they never come on because the airflow is sufficient to keep the truck cool, in town, they keep the truck cool with A/C on and it is a way better setup because the only drag on the engine is the A/C compressor.
Power wise, it is great, no parasitic drag from the fans equals better gas mileage and more overall power. I love them, if I don't get a diesel my next truck, I will have E-fans again.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Installed dual fan kit on my boss's truck..8.1ccsb4wd.. he loves the extra power he gained, spins his 35's easier. the fans come on at 60 percent duty at your preset temp, if temp goes up another 10-12 degrees or so they switch to 100 percent. With A/C on they run at 60 percent. By his seat of the pants dyno he guesses he gained 20-30 hp and almost 2 mpg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
These fans sound like a good investment for the power they can add. The only downside I see is if the fans would fail for some reason. 20-30HP gain for a kit that cost under $500 is a pretty good deal. Any extra economy would be a bonus as well. How hard is the install for these fans? I have heard that getting the factory fan off can be a pain in the neck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts