Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a 1200 mile trip towing, San Diego to Ridgecrest. Had some hill climbs I was not aware of. Never been on the 395 in So Cal to Mid-East Cal. Several 6% grades for 8 to 10 miles. Temps were in the high 80's to mid 90's. Engine temp was never in the red, Tranny was close. Kept my speeds down to 40-45mph with RPM's maybe 2400 on grades. She never skipped a beat, but felt that I was pushing it too hard. My LLY Dually and Weekend Warrior LE3105. No toys, just water and food. I would guess it was 12k lb. California towing speed is 55mph max. I usually follow the letter as my truck runs better, getting better MPG and I won't get a ticked that will cost me a grip. I usually set my CC for 56mph so Allison can shift to OD. Also, running Toyo 235/85/16 Open Country AT3, for tuning I have Hyperchip on Level 2, Airraid Intake Filter Kit, 3" Cat back exhaust.

My question, while I'm pushing my LLY to the limit(in my mind) I'm getting passed by same era trucks, larger tires, pulling much larger trailers. Is it because they have all the bells and whistles. Cooling fans, Exterior coolers, Tuning, etc... What am I doing wrong. I would imagine my truck being an LLY, tires very close to OEM, I would have much more room to play with. Would their larger tires require them to run faster for the optimum RPM's? Although they were passing me like I was standing still, I would see them at the top of the grade maybe cooling off. I was thinking Cooling Fans or Maybe External coolers. On the way home from my trip in Ridgercrest it was pushing 113deg. This was a workout and I seem to have many other peeps on my bumper with larger trailers. When I put the trailer away and parked my truck, water leaking from Water Pump Weep Hole. Replacing is as we speak.

What are you guys doing? suggestions?

Breakdown:
04.5 LLY 143k Miles
Hyperchip Tuner Level 2
Airraid Intake Filter
3" Cat Back Exhaust
235/85/16

Load:
07 Weekend Warrior LE3105
No Toys, Food and Clothing Only

Average MPG was 11.5.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
I would recommend cleaning your cooling stack

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does that intell?

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Reactions: dube-dmax

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
For those of us who live in the San Diego area, there's not "that much" in the stack. It's still worth doing, and actually makes changing the water pump easier if you pull the stack (e.g., you can put an air impact wrench on the crank bolt). That's what I did a few years ago.

There's a sticky section at the top of the LLY section "LLY Overheating Problems" which goes back many years and covers a lot of territory. I'll summarize it for you, look up coolertowing dot com

It's a do-it-yourself installation, and requires a little fitment. I tried to document my experience in Post #20 here:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Goto cooler towing.com and look at his extra radiator and fan kit Joe is super helpful.
Kit is complete and will solve your problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts