Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than just having a clean floorboard, is there any other reason to go electronic button shift?

The price for the electronic is not much so I don't consider that an issue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you want the center console you can't have the floor transfer shift. I personally like the center console, give a place to store stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that center console is the real deal?

The LT's come with the elect shift. Very few LS come that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '03 LS trim 2500 Silverado, front buckets with center console, and pushbutton 4wd. Here are my opinions:

Biker> So that center console is the real deal?

The center console is nice to have to store stuff but it doesn't really give you very much storage area. My previous truck was a '94 K1500 Blazer and its center console had about twice the storage area (more than 3x the space if you include the enclosed space under the cupholders) compared to the current console design.

In my current truck, the driver and front passenger compartments from the hip down are completely isolated by the center console. There is plenty of room to get comfortable, but still, to me it feels crowded. The driver/front passenger area in my old K-Blazer by comparison was voluminous.

Biker> Other than just having a clean floorboard, is there any other reason to go electronic button shift?

Having the pushbutton 4wd is nice from the convenience standpoint but it is one more system that might go wrong at an inconvenient time. There have been issues with the pushbutton 4wd system -- search for "encoder motor" on any of the GM truck oriented websites. Also see http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=277&KW=encoder+motor

I've had the '03 Silverado for about 12 months now and haven't had any problems with pushbutton 4wd system yet. Knock on wood. I'm seriously considering the next truck I get will have the floor shifter. A 4x4 without a floor shifter just doesn't seem like a real 4x4.

Sean

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi-

The button is a lot easier to use. I can easily put it in and out of 4 wheel drive as needed.

It's out of the way. So it leaves the floor open to do any kind of modifications you may want to do.

I have the factory center console and It is a very nice item. Good layout. A lot of little places to put things. An extra hole to put a nice fitting XM radio if you want or some guages. At the dealer's, I did not want it. Now I am glad my wife talked me into it.

And last but not least. It's good for hours of good fun debate as to what fluid to use in it (auto-track fluid or transmission fluid.) because GM made it totally confusing in the book
.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
747 Posts
The fold down console in the bench seat gives you a little storage space, but not much. I prefer the floor shifter just because that is what I am used to. Plus, I like having the open floor space, so I went with the bench. It's mainly a personal preference as far as which one to get. I don't trust the pushbutton. I had a '93 with the pushbutton 4X4 and it would sometimes take several tries to get it out of 4wd.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What I fine funny, learn somehting new every day I guess, is that when I was looking at ordering my 02 you could not get the floor shift with the allison trans. Hmmm. Even after a few phone calls to GM from the dealer all said it can't come that way. Something about the linkage around the allison wasn't doable. If I went with the 6sp man. trans then you could get the floor. Well I've been happy with my push button. I keep my goves and hat down where the shifter would be so I guess I've grown to perfer the open floor space.

cmc

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You can't compare the speed of going in and out of 4x4 with the pre-97 models. Not sure if I got the year right but somewhere around there they discarded the older style front actuator with a newer style servo motor actuator. The old one was prone to failure and slow actuation in cold weather....

Either style system you choose, you still have the newer actuator.

The new one is almost instant on....

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
CMC-GMC said:
What I fine funny, learn somehting new every day I guess, is that when I was looking at ordering my 02 you could not get the floor shift with the allison trans. Hmmm. Even after a few phone calls to GM from the dealer all said it can't come that way. Something about the linkage around the allison wasn't doable. If I went with the 6sp man. trans then you could get the floor. Well I've been happy with my push button. I keep my goves and hat down where the shifter would be so I guess I've grown to perfer the open floor space.

cmc

I have an 02 with a floor shifter and Allision. Ordered it that way, did not like the buttons/

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would order the pushbutton type. I haven't used the newer floor shifters so I don't know how well they function but I can say that the new buttons work much better than the floor shifters in K series trucks of late 80s or early 90s.

If I was just a recreational user I might think otherwise. I use 4WD at least a few months a year and shift several times a day sometimes when conditions are inconsistant.

I think that the T-cases are the same regardless of which actuator you choose. One thing that I like about pushbutton is that there isn't much gray area concerning whether or not it is functioning properly. If you push the button it should shift, if it doesn't then it's not working. Where as with a floor shifter you may be able to get it locked in after fussing with it for a few minutes, but that doesn't mean that it is working properly.

I have traveled tens of thousands of miles in 4WD, and had more problems with floor shifters than with buttons. And the buttons are just more convienient for my needs. --SS

·
Registered
245 Posts
rtquig,

Not sure if it made a diff but I was after a short bed CC w/8.1L. I see you got a LB CC. Again I don't know and doubt that would make a differance but who knows up in GM land.

cmc

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I guess you guys with the manual shifters have never had one freeze up with ice or dirt. I bought the electric shift as soon as they were available and have never looked back. Later! Frank

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had the electric shift in a 96 Chev. pickup and when I traded it in thye 98 Dodge Cummins. I sure wish I had the Electric shift back. Not sure how the Newer GM manual shifters are the one in the Dodge was hard to shift. It is nice to just oush the button and go!!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have the electric shifter with an 02 Suburban and the floor shifter in the Silverado. So far neither one has given me any trouble, but I did have trouble with a S-10 Blazer with electric buttons. I had a 98 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4 X4, and the floor shifter seemed to go in and out more easily than the chevy.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I've had both and I'm glad I have the electric shift now. The hassles of fighting the transfer case to go into 4WD just are not there with the pushbuttons. Also, the times when I needed 4WD are not the times to be losing concentration on the road.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You know what would be funny?

I'll bet all you guys with a floor shift actually have electric push button. GM just made a handle to fool you!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've had a few of each too and now prefer the electric system to the manual shift for all the above reasons. I did however have to have the button system changed on an 01 that wouldn't work for me one day but they are definately handier!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts