Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stalled the Juice w/attitude. I ran it for a week or so at different levels before installing the 4" MBRP today. It seems to me the egts were not as significantly lower than the stock exhaust....as I thought they would be. I was not too suprised it reach 1350 on level 4 and 5, but rather dissappointed that it also did on level 3. Even on level 1 and 2 it would get above 1200..............without pulling any weight. Of course, that was running it through the gears harder than I would if pulling a load.

Does the above seem normal and maybe I just expected too much drop in egt?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has info?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i think you expected too much. i dont know what my egt's were before i went with the bullydog exhaust but right now with my PPE set on kill i cruise around 800* at 65mph about 600* at 45mph and can push 1700 easy if i get on it really hard

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think you expected too much. i dont know what my egt's were before i went with the bullydog exhaust but right now with my PPE set on kill i cruise around 800* at 65mph about 600* at 45mph and can push 1700 easy if i get on it really hard
That is a bummer. I was hoping to be able to tow without having to worry about EGTs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That is a bummer. I was hoping to be able to tow without having to worry about EGTs.
This has been my persuit as well. I think my 4" exhaust helps (some), but not in a HUGE way. Maybe 100-150 degrees lower... not bad, but need more.

Based on my research, the two BIG improvements are 1) Twin turbos-- which are way to much money, 2) Water/methanol injection, which is a hassle because when used (when boost exceeds a limit, i.e. 20PSI) the fluid gets used up FAST-- like 1 gallon every 5 minutes... so an 8 gallon tank will get used up after 40 minutes of pulling up a slope. When towing out West, that's not very long! And I don't want to constantly be filling up a water/methanol tank-- that's why I got a 65gal supertank... so I don't need to stop so often.

I do believe that a boost stick might help, but only moderately (like bigger exhaust). But I put my own together for under $10... haven't installed it yet though. Right now I see max boost around 22PSI.... I can set my (adjustable) boost stick to max at 27PSI, which will put more air in the engine-- thus more cooling. My understanding is that if you keep the stock turbo under 30PSI, it's safe.

For more info on this whole discussion about boost stick, see the following thread (post #19 has a pic of components which make up my boost stick)

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?p=839985&posted=1#post839985

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
BigOL3,

The exhaust by itself will help, but if you do not increase the air input the exhaust can only send out the volume that it recieves! Get an air system like the AFE Stage II Pro Guard 7 and you'll see more EGT drop and the turbo will spool up faster too. Plus the PG7 will keep the dirt out of your engine! Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
No one has info?
did you install a complete 4" system or just a cat-back?

where is your Pyro tapped?

EGT's will spike at different times no matter what tune. load and boost are all relavant.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think most people say you will only loose 100 to 200 degrees with a 4" pipe. I think you notice more of a difference towing a load that just hot rodding. With a tuner you will have to watch temps expecially when towing. Like they said above you need a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you install a complete 4" system or just a cat-back?

where is your Pyro tapped?

EGT's will spike at different times no matter what tune. load and boost are all relavant.
It is a complete exhaust system.........no cat.

Tapped the pyro as instructed............just as pictured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts