Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to "mine" some gold from the wealth of info here.

What are "normal" EGT's for this engine & what are the caution/danger temps to be aware of? I am running a stealth 50 - 110hp with a stock airbox & exhaust sys. I have an amsoil air filter and I have done a mild "swiss cheese" to the air box for any airflow help I can get.

At the 110hp setting, I cruise at 70mph running about 500 - 700 degF on the EGT gauge. However,
if I get into it any, the temps run to 1100 - 1400 pretty quick. As soon as I let off the fuel, the temps come back to 650 - 750.

I have had the EGT gauge installed for about 25 miles (brand new) & I was wondering if this type of temperature "peaking" is normal for all of you, or if the stock sys is really that bad at air flow.

Is this normal?

What is the "danger" area & what temperature range can I "stay" in for 10 - 20 sec or so?

Or should I forget the 110 tune until I find some way to increase air flow?

Give me your thoughts guys!

Thanx for the help,
PDSEdited by: Aggie91

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Get a good 4" exhaust like a Banks and those temps will drop alot.......

AFE intake stage II sounds great with that turbo whistle.

lotta good deals here , just ask, someone has a link for a great price, or look in the vendors forum.

I believe CON can hook you up with a AFE ste-up.

T
NY

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I had thought about getting an AFE intake or a different exhaust, but I do not know if the temps I am experiencing are within a safe range or not. That's why I was wondering what others are seeing.
If my temps are within range, I don't see a need to spend extra $$ on an intake or exhaust.

Besides, I can always run on the 70 or 90 hp setting for a while until I get extra $$.

PDS

·
Registered
351 Posts
Those temps are normal. I can run my Quad 135 up to 1400 on a 0-65 run. My old 90 Juice would see 1400 pretty easy also. Nobody that I know of has blown up a Duramax due to extreme EGT that I know of. Kennedy has run his truck at 1700+ for almost a minute in Montana at the up hill trailer drags. Don't sweat it for 10-15 second runs. I ran my 90 Juice on my 3500 and that had a 4" exhaust. My GMC is straight piped (Quad 135).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't have a box (yet - Should be on it's way
) but I do have gauges, AFE stage II and a Flowmaster muffler. I've hit about 11 while pulling my 5er (10,000lbs/give or take) Until I put the flowmaster on - Now at 65 running up hill maintaining speed I get about 9600 doesn't seem to matter how hard I try. I'd get yourself at least a muffler before hitting that 110hp tune again. my 2 cents

·
Registered
704 Posts
The exhaust makes a world of difference, the intake make a very little difference to EGT, but helps give a quicker spool-up. If your on a tight budget, try cutting out the stock muffler, and putting in a better flowing muffler or straight pipe. I tow on the 110hp setting and rarely get over 900.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx Everyone.

I have located an exhaust sys from (I think) an 02 d-max. I will be cutting out about 35" of the "straightest" section tomorrow & replacing my muffler. Hope to have this done by the weekend, I have a road trip planned & want to see what the temps will do over about 3 hrs of hwy driving. Thanks for all of the info everyone, it's nice to know that my numbers were not too far off base. I just did not like the quick spool up in temps.

I will let everyone know how the temps turn out!

Thanx,
PDS

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Guys, Here is the update:

First I took the stock muffler out & the exhaust shop had some 3" to put in place of the muffler. Believe it or not, 3" pipe in place of the muffler on a 3 1/2" system actually RASIES the EGT's by 75 - 200 deg depending on what you are doing.

Just cruising home at 65mph saw an increase of about 100 deg F. I went back the next day and installed a piece of 3 1/2" pipe. Temp dropped about 75 deg below stock.

Road trip saw 550 - 600 degF at 70mpg hwy crusin. Temps on passing were a lot slower to climb to danger levels.

I think I will keep this set up for now. So far I have invested $30.00 to have pipe welded into my system twice!!! (I like those cheap $$$$). It's louder than stock, but I did'nt have to spend $240.00 installing an aftermarket muffler (flowmaster)

Thanx,
PDSEdited by: Aggie91

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey now - don't be hate'n the flowmaster..
Yeah it was 175 bux - but for how much noise it makes and the lower EGT's - worth every cent in my book.. Anyway - glad to see your EGT's are lower - It's amazing how bad the stock muffler really is..

blwn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts