Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve mentioned the high egts towing with the predator, so what are you guys getting towing with the juice and with what trailer # and what speed ?

Jomar

·
Registered
138 Posts
Went over Raton Pass on I25 in New Mexico in OVERDRIVE at 65 mph on Level 3 on cruise control. Hit 1375 for just a second or two near the top. Fifth Wheel weighs 8500#. I had set the "back down" for 1400 degrees.

On the return trip (south bound) it was approaching a pretty steady 1350 on that steep stretch near the peak when it downshifted to 4th and immediately cooled down to 11 hundreds. Cruise was on 60.

Most of the time, it seldom gets over around 1250 when going up and down the "bumps" on I25 between Albuqueruqe and Ft. Collins Colorado. And yes, they are now just "bumps".
I set the cruise on 70 for most of the trip and it never loses 1 mph or shifts out of overdrive the whole way up. Don't see a whole lot of difference EGT wise between level 2 and 3.

11.5 MPG on the way up and 11.36 MPG on the way home!!! Calcs based on fillups, not the DIC.

EGT probe is mounted in driver side manifold. Much thanks to Steve for the photo of DS install. It really is easy to do there. Don't need to remove anything.

Love the "JUICE"!

·
Registered
939 Posts
My EGT's only get excessive on the hills and passes. I can only tow on level 1, level 2 is too hot on my truck with the stock exhaust...I still have the stock exhaust while I research 4" exhausts again for something quieter (may go with the TTS system this time). I have seen over 1400 degrees climbing Wolf Creek Pass which is a rather long 7% grade. I had the power, but had to slow down to 45mph due to EGT's

On the rolling hills on I25 or I76, I can see 1200-1250 pretty easily, but by the time I get to the top it starts to cool off so I let it go. On the flats, I run about 700-900 degrees. Our 5er weighs in around 10k and I tow between 65 and 70mph. Just have the regular juice 4.61, no attitude.Edited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
gwmayes said:
  Much thanks to Steve for the photo of DS install.  It really is easy to do there.  Don't need to remove anything.

Love the "JUICE"!

Whoa I must've missed that one. can anyone give me a link to that install. I currently have an egt in the Pass side but wouldn't mind monitoring both banks of the exh. plus the having the added protection of the juice backdown feature.

Just to stay on topic I tow about 75-8500 daily and on level three cruisin I see about 875-950 egt's and when under a load going up the Green Monster in Chalmette pushing it hard I'll see about 1250egts

Regards,

PepperidgeEdited by: pepperidge

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was just wondering about the juice and towing. I bought the predator mainly for the increased towing power and I am not happy with it. I would not advise anyone to buy it for the purpose of towing. The diagnostic capabilities are okay but the rest is only good for smoking the tires from one red light to the other and I`m getting too old for that. Should have bought the juice to start with.

Jomar

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't know about a link? Steve (socaldmax) mentioned that he had put a probe in the DS where I was thinking about doing it. He graciously ran out to his truck, crawled under it, took a pic and emailed it to me. Thanks again, Steve. Here's his pic. For tapping, I stuck the tap in a 1/4" drive 3/8" six-sided socket.... it fit perfectly tight. I used about 12" of extension to reach up there and tap the hole. Since the hole is smack dab on the bottom of the manifold, the chips fall down directly in your eyes
and I didn't have my glasses on! I didn't run the engine to blow away the chips.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Thanks for the Pic It helps to see it before you do it

Pepperidge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts