Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Diesel Enthusiasts,
I apologize for posting on this thread since I should be on the first generation thread for my '03 Duramax. I posted there but have not received any replies. In a nutshell I am running the Bully Dog Triple Dog Powerpup. I have had issues with the Outlook Monitor and have sent it back twice. The downloader is working great though. I just received the repaired Outlook Monitor and I installed it a couple of days ago. When I check the Pre Turbo EGT readings they are jumping up to 1200 degrees by the time I hit 40 mph on a smooth acceleration. If I happen to be going 55 and want to speed up to 60 in a 'mature' way my EGT readings will go into the 1300 -1400's. I cannot believe that these readings are correct. It scares me still. I am running the Triple Dog at the 'Performance' level. But even when I put it back to stock the readings did the same. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what was the resolution? Do I simply have a bad pyro sensor?
Thanks for any replies!!
Genester

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a dumb question, is there a way to test and see if the the egt (or pyro) sensor is bad or do I have to purchase another one?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
First off, we need to verify your turbo is working correctly. I'd suggest going back to the stock tune until everything is ironed out.

Do you have a mechanical boost gauge? If so, that will tell you whether or not you're getting boost. With the stock tune in do you get lots of smoke?

It's fairly common for EGT thermocouples to quit reading accurately. The best way to test it is to just put a new one in and see what happens. You can measure the resistance, but that can be a guessing game for us average Joes.

You can also put the tip of the thermocouple in the flame of a good ol' Bic lighter. It should read somewhere around 750-800 degrees max as a rule of thumb. If it goes sky high to 1200-1300 degrees, you've got a bad probe.

Hope this helps--I'm no expert on pyros, but this is what's helped me in the past.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The turbo is functioning normally. The outlook is showing the boost. In fact everything seems to be normal except for these pyrometer readings. I'll try your bic lighter idea and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Likely a product of the Bully Dog tuning adding fuel without adding boost. I'd suggest trying it stock once and see how that compares. Then try a Boost Stick. I doubt the readings are off...

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I agree with kennedy. Sounds like about what I would expect to see from Bully Dog

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ive seen 1600 degrees on a WOT 0-100 run...

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
1400 is not hurting anything if you are not sustaining it.

My threshold for pain with Blue is 1350 towing uphill with a heavy load. 50K and no problems, with a lot of towing miles.

Wait until you run big tunes. You will tag 1600 in 7 seconds, and bury the gauge until you lift.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 55-60 on a steady cruise it shows around 900-1000. But if I am on 55 and jump to 60-65 quickly it will show 1400-1500.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Likely a product of the Bully Dog tuning adding fuel without adding boost. I'd suggest trying it stock once and see how that compares. Then try a Boost Stick. I doubt the readings are off...
I totally uninstalled the program and put the vehicle back to stock and ended up with the exact same temperatures.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
What is your reading at idle after you are up to temp?

Like others have stated, your thermocouple might be screwed up.

Normal idle is 350-400 deg in park.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When warmed up if sitting at a red light I am in the 600's. If in neutral when warmed up I am in the 400's. I supposedly have a thermo-coupler on the way.
I am wondering if it could simply be the Bully Dog Outlook Monitor that has the problem. This would be the third time sending it back if the monitor is the problem. If the monitor is the problem I won't go through the trouble of installing another one. I have removed and reinstalled my pillar so many times now due to Outlook Monitor issues that it finally broke off the plastic piece on the pillar that snaps into the windshield supporting arm. Bully Dog definitely could make some improvements on their Outlook Monitor.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Nope.

Too high. Thermocouple is giving bad readings.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I certainly hope your right. I live just west of Atlanta Georgia and I am about to take a trip to Arizona next week in the truck. Then I will leave Arizona after a week or so and plan on heading up the East Coast and then travelling back across the country on the North side and then come down the west coast back to Georgia. I hope to be able to trust the readings for the pyro during this time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The probe was installed in the manifold on the passenger side. The dealer I bought this from said that was where they install all of their probes. I also told Bully Dog where this was installed and they said that should be alright. However another issue that I have had with Bully Dog is that I can talk to three different technical support personnel there and I will get three totally different answers. In fact one guy at Bully Dog told me to screw the 'pyro two' wires to a ground on the the fender since I will not be using them. Then the very next day I was having issues with the Monitor causing icons to illuminate on my dash board and the person that I talked to the next day at Bully Dog said that I should not ground the 'pyro two' wires but to just tape them together. Their instruction manual didn't even come close to matching the colored wires on my harness. And there is a particular wire with a red plug on the end that did not seem to go anywhere. When I called Bully Dog on this they said to just leave it alone and that it does not need to be plugged in. Yet their manual says to make sure that the red plug is connected to the red plug receiver. Needless to say they have some work to do on making their instruction manuals match the merchandise.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
They do leave something to be desired in their instructions :confused: . I also mounted mine in the manifold, I was just wondering. My truck is in the paint shop until Monday so I cannot reference how mine went but it sounds the same. Let me know how your trip goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts