Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing EGT & Boost guages but I'm new to how to use them.

I did the aka hoot location for EGT. Is there a recomended safe range for egt's? What is the max burst temp? How long can you prudently maintain the burst? What is the max high temp for a longer duration?

What is the best action you can take to lower egt's quickly?

What is a typical idle temp?

What is the thinking on how to best use the boost readings? How does boost and egt's relate to each other if at all? What actions do you take based on boost info if any?

Thanks!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
704 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
Is there a recomended safe range for egt's? What is the max burst temp? How long can you prudently maintain the burst? What is the max high temp for a longer duration?

What is the thinking on how to best use the boost readings? How does boost and egt's relate to each other if at all? What actions do you take based on boost info if any?

The EGTs that I see are as follows:

300 at idle

600 at cruise

900 at cruise towing

I like to keep any long term EGT at 1200 or lower. I never see these numbers unless I'm geting into it, or towing a steep hill. I try to keep the short term EGT under 1500. I believe that these numbers are on the conservative side.

The best thing I did to lower EGT was the exhaust. During driving, the only way I've lowered EGT was to back off the throttle.

The boost guage is much more responsive than the EGT guage, and I think it more accuratly represents the motors load. I use it during light throttle to help improve milage, and during full throttle to compare tunes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Idle Temp: Usually runs 300 to 340 degrees.

Max Temp 1800 degrees plus on 1/4 mile blasts, no more than 10 to 15 seconds.

Max sustained for me: I don't like anything more than 1200 degrees, but I run some hotter tunes too. If I hit that number for any period of time I will back out of it to cool it down.

Don't lug the engine, your EGT's will climb. A downshift or letting off the go pedal will lower the EGT's.

Typically the more boost you have the cooler your EGT's will be. As long as you don't fiddle with your wastegate the Boost numbers are more informational, you should not have a problem.

Around town or even racing the 1/4 mile you should not have a problem with EGT's. I keep a close eye on them but the real value is when towing. Just use your noggin and you should be in great shape.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Dmax,

I see 200 to 350 idling, depending on how the engine is. I can cruise any where from 400 to 900. Towing 8,500 in normal conditions I am between 700 and 1000.

I have read that 1250 is the max to stay at for extended periods of time. I have seen a 1400 degree spike but I dont feel comfortable there for more than a few seconds.... Some have seen much hotter than that..... Hope this helps...

What are you seeing? Nice install.. I saw your pic in the for sale section.... sweet!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
did the aka hoot location for EGT. Is there a recomended safe range for egt's? What is the max burst temp? How long can you prudently maintain the burst? What is the max high temp for a longer duration?

1200* .... The Duramax was tested substained over 1300* but I wouldn't test the ability ... Burst are just that ... What's safe ? Right before it breaks ....

Close throttle

250 degrees,depends how hard it was just worked ...

The stock actuator is set at 21/22 PSI ....More boost will cool the EGT's a little.... Certainly not worth wastegate manipulating
unless,Hmmmmm....With the right box (stacking) it can get out of hand a tad...Close throttle ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
As a sugestion, one would set your warning a little before you get into the danger zone.... Personally, I have my warning to come on at 1175 and the attitude to backoff at 1250...... It gives me a heads up on whats coming and it would be my option to back off earlier.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
Thanks guys, this is great stuff to put in the old noggin so it can be used appropriately!

One more question, where would you recommend to set the high egt warning? 1200, 1300 or other?
As "I survived" wrote,would work for me ....

Mac

·
Registered
140 Posts
HEY EVERYONE ! DOES ANYONE KNOW AT WHAT PSI OF BOOST THE WASTEGATE OPENS? I HERD 32PSI LET ME KNOW PLEASE

THANKS

2500HDING

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
2500HDING said:
HEY EVERYONE ! DOES ANYONE KNOW AT WHAT PSI OF BOOST THE WASTEGATE OPENS? I HERD 32PSI LET ME KNOW PLEASE

THANKS

2500HDING

Stock without a chip or tuner I see 21-22 psi, running a chip ( HOT OJ ) seems to get me up to 26-28 - Quadzilla Stealth Tuner I see the same psi range.

I know boost will stay under 30 psi with a stock tranny, if you plug the wastegate or have a modified tranny it will build alot more Boost. Plugged I can PEG a 35 PSI Boost Gauge real easy

Noot good for the turbo, Barks Like a DOG..........

T
NY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts