Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have read everything about installing the EGT probe into the exhaust manifold. I am going to drill and tap with the engine running, but should I do it with the manifold hot or cold? I was thinking if I do it while it's hot then the metal may shrink when it's cold and mess up the probe... or am I being over cautious? I figure it doesn't make a difference since when it is installed the manifold will get hot and cold and not screw it up. Thanks. Reason I am asking is because I have to drive a little ways to get the bit and tap and when I get home the manifold will be hot.

DanEdited by: StraitDiesel

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I don't think it will make a differance .... The manifold itself wont be the HOT and you'll be surprised how the exhaust at idle isn't that hot either ...

Mac

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
No dif.

Better to do it cold though IMO. Less chance of getting hot handed.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Better do it when its cold. Do the drilling in 3-4 stages, smaller to larger, and use some heavy grease to catch the shavings. Do the same thing, especially , when you do the tap. Extra grease!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I started with a cold truck and the drill/tap was a piece of cake. The only time I even used gloves was when first seating the tap (which wasn't really required) and when removing it (definitely required).

[Edit] Also, drilled in only 2 stages then tapped. No lube, cast taps easily dry and the exhaust blows out the chips.Edited by: BadDog

·
Registered
161 Posts
Make sure you have eye protection.

Steve

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys... I did it before I could read these posts though... I drilled and tapped as soon as I got home from getting the bit and tap and it was hotter than devil, made it pretty easy to drill though... I didn't take the wheel well cover off either, too much of a pain... I just folded it back and went to work, it was easy. Took me about 20 minutes... I used a 9mm box wrench to turn the tap, kind of tricky getting the thread started, but smooth sailing once I was tapped. I hear ya about the eye protection, damn thing was spitten steel at me. It went smooth though and worked great. Thanks!

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts