Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have Edge/Attitude in my 05 but for a variety of reasons, I'm gonna pull it out (3 tickets is a contributing factor, wife nagging is also not helping). Anyway, I have the probe for the EGT already in place. Will this same probe work with a normal gauge? All I have to do is run the wires to it? Or is the probe specific for the e/a?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thermo couples work on resistance of a wire filament, using that thermo couple should be pretty close, but it's pretty damn easy to unscrew the old one and put in the new one. Cutting and splicing on the thermo couple is the part you have to worry about. If you change the resistance in the leads you change the readings, but i'm not entirely sure how sensitive they are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thermocouples are two different metals that when joined together generate a voltage. The voltage level is also dependant upon temperature so by measuring the voltage it can be translated into a temperature value.

The most common type for EGT probes is a type "K". They are easily recognized by the, industry standard, red and yellow wire colors. The cable jacket is usually yellow or brown.

I think all of the EGT gauges I've seen use the type "K" thermocouple so you can probably swap probes without a problem.

If you want to maintain maximum accuracy you need to use thermocouple cable if you're going to extend the leads.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It's possible it will work, but there is a chance it won't. From what I've read on here people have plugged them in and they work, but just the opposite has happened.

Most gauges you'll buy will come w/ the correct probe.

-Chris

on edit: you may need to get a different adapter to the manifold so you dont' have to redrill/tap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts