Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it make a diff if you put the prob just after the manifold in the exaust pipe. I have a friend that did his that way and i am getting ready to do mine but dont know were. is the manifold better?

Sorry if the thread is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that but I think it is easier to mount in the manifold and there is more material for the threads.

The most important thing is that you are pre-turbo.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it throw the temp off? or should it be close between the two

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Probably won't be able to tell the temp difference but I recommend what Max Power said and put it in the Manifold.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There should be some info in the directions about where the probe goes. If not check where you purchased it from. Some probes are "calibrated" to go before turbo, some after! It's the only way to get correct readings.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if you go after the turbo your readings will be lower than if it was pre turbo

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Put it in the tailpipe, post cat. You'll never worry about EGT again.

IMO Pre-turbo is the only way to look at EGT.

Then again, I set my speedometer 10 fast. I impress myself all the time :) and never get tickets. LOL

·
Registered
212 Posts
There should be some info in the directions about where the probe goes. If not check where you purchased it from. Some probes are "calibrated" to go before turbo, some after! It's the only way to get correct readings.

Calibrated? Last time I checked 150*F was a 150*F no matter where it was measured. same with 151*, 152* ... you get the point.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Calibrated? Last time I checked 150*F was a 150*F no matter where it was measured. same with 151*, 152* ... you get the point.
I think he meant the colored "zones" on the gauges, not necessarily the pyro.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why the sarcasm

Why so much sarcasm here? The probes are calibrated for electrical current and type of install. Look on the web for more info, not just what you think you know. I'm not new to diesels, but new here to this forum. But I can't believe how people act.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya tell me about it.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Some gauges are calibrated to read accurate at higher temps and some are calibrated to read accurate at lower temps. A gauge can read 1800 degrees, it just won't be accurate if it is not calibrated for that high of a temp. Think of it as a sweet spot. Some work better in different "sweet spots" than others do.

·
Registered
557 Posts
would it make a diff if you put the prob just after the manifold in the exaust pipe. I have a friend that did his that way and i am getting ready to do mine but dont know were. is the manifold better?

Sorry if the thread is in the wrong place.
The best place to put it is where the exhaust from both banks come together so your reading the exhaust from all cylinders, but as close to the source of the heat as possible.

There is a convenient flat spot on the passenger-side exhaust manaifold near the rear-most cylinder a little over 2-inches from the flange.

Take the exhaust manifold off, drill and tap, reinstall (I think the torque rating is 28 lb-ft for the manifold bolts) and have fun.

1800 degrees? Ouch!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why so much sarcasm here? The probes are calibrated for electrical current and type of install. Look on the web for more info, not just what you think you know. I'm not new to diesels, but new here to this forum. But I can't believe how people act.
I wasnt being sarcastic ... and he said the probe.

A good egt gauge should be calibrated throughout its entire range for accuracy.

Also, most guages/probes/cables are calibrated together. It does not make any difference where you mount them they should read correctly across the entire range no matter where they are installed. No sarcasm ... just letting people know that 150* was 150* no matter where it is measured from.

Sorry you took offense ... Ill try to be nicer from now on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wasn't starting anything, but I have run them on gas motors for years for tuning purposes on dyno. Up to 8 at a time, and you can get probes calibrated to as you say, sweet spots, depending on resistance in the probe. On a side note, you should try to find 8 that match without ordering matched sets from the manufacturer.

Sorry for starting something but it sure seems like alot of people here get sarcastic with newbies. If you don't know exactly what your looking for, and not knowing the language, it's a little hard to "search" for things. But I also understand reacting to people who ask kind of obvious questions that arn't hard to find the answer for.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if you put it on the pipe make the hole bigger and weld a bung or a nut to it so you can have more than 1-2 threads holding it on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts