Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a new 2006 LBZ (650 miles) and will be towing our Alpha Gold 5th wheel (14,000 lbs). I have had gauges installed and am wondering what max EGT reading I should use before forcing a shift down. Everything is stock and so far I love the truck. The old tow dog (97 Dodge diesel w/ 64K miles on it will go on eBay in a couple of weeks). I am very impressed with all the knowledge to be found on these forums so I am hopeful of getting some good advice from those of you with more experience with the D\A than I have. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dthomson,
I'll take a stab at it based on info I've read on this forum and other info I've gathered to date. I believe you can maintain 1350 without damage. I am also under the impression that with the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold the reading on the probe is higher then what the actual piston sees due to the gasses still expanding in the manifold (slightly higher reading on probe) and the piston head also gets cooled by an additional spray of fuel. Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
you have a 97 cummins with only 64K? man, that thing hasn't even been broken in yet. you should get quite a bit for that.
Same thing I was thinking, It's hard to get a good used one anymore. I bought mine with 160,000 miles on it and paid way too much for it, then spent way too much in it. Now I'm thinking of selling it and buying a 2wd.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Spiked vs Sustained EGTs

Hi guys. I have a new 2006 LBZ (650 miles) and will be towing our Alpha Gold 5th wheel (14,000 lbs). I have had gauges installed and am wondering what max EGT reading I should use before forcing a shift down. Everything is stock and so far I love the truck. The old tow dog (97 Dodge diesel w/ 64K miles on it will go on eBay in a couple of weeks). I am very impressed with all the knowledge to be found on these forums so I am hopeful of getting some good advice from those of you with more experience with the D\A than I have. Thanks in advance.
EGTs can SPIKE very high (over 1500) for a short period (30 seconds) and will not do any damage. If you are not near any LONG hills/mountiains, you probably don't even need worry about EGTs-- unless you are in some fierce headwinds or it's extremely hot outside. What should concern you is SUSTAINED EGT's (i.e. towing up a long slope for several minutes). There are differing views on max SUSTAINED EGTs. A very conservative figure is 1200. 1400 is pushing the furthest limits. Most believe that somewhere in between 1200 and 1400 is the max for SUSTAINED EGTs. Based on my research... when it reaches 1200 I'm monitoring... when it reaches 1300 I'm monitoring closely, and when it reaches 1350 I'm backing it down to 1300. Like you, I tow 14k, and every year we head out West through terrain that pushes the parameters. One of the best upgrades to help keep EGTs in check is a 4" exhaust sytem. A boost stick will also help, but I haven't installed mine yet. --Paul.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all for all the good info. I live in So Cal so almost anywhere away from here involves some good climbs (not like Wolf Creek Pass in CO) which we barely made with the Dodge. The Dodge is a good truck but I think the weakness is the transmission. That is water under the dam however and I am really excited to see how the D/A pulls in a week and a half when we take our first little trip. There are two fairly good grades (one outside of Buellton and the Cuesta grade outside of San Luis Obispo) that we will have to pull. Thanks agin for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts