Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Autometer Z Series pyro guage. The kit came with installation hardware for all three types of installs. I chose to do mine "a la Hoot" and drilled the exhaust manifold. Not too hard, I did the drilling with engine runnning and got covered in drill shavings
I shut the engine off to do the tapping and intial install of fitting and probe. So here are the questions.

1. Do you tighten the fittings with the engine cold or running? Will doing one or the other cause the exhaust manifold to crack?
2. How much do you tighten the fittings? Snug with a small wrench or get out the 1/2 drive and cheater bar?
3. I used an anti sieze lube made for exhaust parts and with a tolerance of 2,000 F. Was this a wise choice?
4. Do I have to check the fittings for "looseness" at any specified interval?

Okay, my last question will be for egt temps themselves. I have read that anything from 900 to 1,500 F is bad. What should I consider the "safe" redline for this setup? Remember I also use the truck to tow an RV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
cd:

I did the drilling and tapping with the engine running. Then stopped the engine, antisiezed the fitting and screwed it in there. It just needs to be snug. There really isn't much pressure in this exhaust system. This is soft metal, so if you crank on it, you will strip the threads you just created. My engine was up to operating temp when I was doing this.

As far as temps, pre turbo (a la hoot), the max safe sustained is 1250 degrees. You can go over that, but don't do it for very long. I have seen 1300-1350 pulling a grade and down shifted to get the EGT's back down. A 4" exhaust system is in my future, but the 2nd fuel filter took priority as the tow season is almost over for me.

Bob

·
Registered
754 Posts
cdhd2001,

How about some updated info on the Superchips, what's your impression now that you've had if for a bit? Notice any shifting issues? Defueling? Does the power roll in smooth? And when you get the EGT Guage up and running, post some temps on full throttle runs, etc.

Would appreciate the info.

Mike

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
agree with above, just snug it. Too tight and your gonna damage something. My temps run above 1300 and a downshift will drop them quickly. NO cheater bar in this install, the only bar should have beverages on tap!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Guess I will need to loosen the fitting, start and warm the engine, then proceed to snug it in place. I do have a bad habit of tightening something till it breaks.

VFRRider,

I have just about given up on our local track. They seem to be having some management and maintenance issues. I really like the Superchips. Power roll on is smooth except for the first setting, which has a slight surge at 1,500 rpms. I guess it is doing some de-fueling between shifts, however on a full throttle take off it will chip 2nd gear and in most cases leave a 2-5 ft long twin rubber mark. If I can finish the pyro install by friday I will do some test runs with and with out the trailer to determine the pyro temps.

P.S. At the track the truck is a handful with the Superchip. A power brake take off at 1,500 rpms leaves me spinning and squirming sideways for the first half of the track. The engine just goes to redline instantly and "wa la", we have a tire roast!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't loosen anything, leave it alone, if it didn't strip or something I wouldn't mess with it. Losening it and then re-tightening it may cause it to seat farther into the manifold and you don't need the increased restriction.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a64pilot,

Thanks! I was starting to get anxious about undoing the fitting. Now that leaves me with the last of the wiring and finishing the mounting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts