Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice alot of people useing the autometer, do they work ok? Do you guys use the thermocouple it comes with, ie: does it work fine i the hoot location for the drilling etc. I am planning on running down to the speedshop today and picking up a set of gauges, although I do hate being in line with the ricers and trying to explain to them that yes my truck has a turbo, should see the look on thier faces when I ask for a boost guage and they ask what vehicle..2003 silverado..HA!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use the Autometer EGT with the Autometer probe. It works great, very fast response. In my opinion it's easier to track in analog form rather than digital.

I actually have 2 of them from when I used them on my turbocharged motorcycle. One is the 2 5/8" Pro series, the other is a 2 1/16" Phantom series. I have the 2 5/8" guage in the truck, along with a liquid filled 0-35 psi Autometer Pro boost guage. Autometer guages are very well made.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gsxr can you get the autometer liquid in a EGT guage? How did you mount yours?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
I notice alot of people useing the autometer, do they work ok? Do you guys use the thermocouple it comes with, ie: does it work fine i the hoot location for the drilling etc. I am planning on running down to the speedshop today and picking up a set of gauges, although I do hate being in line with the ricers and trying to explain to them that yes my truck has a turbo, should see the look on thier faces when I ask for a boost guage and they ask what vehicle..2003 silverado..HA!
Yes
No I bought the competition series probe....
Yes

Just tell the Ricers that you can build 30 Lbs of boost and watch their jaws ....

Mac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mackin said:
No I bought the competition series probe....
Mac

Mac - Do tell me more about this. Faster reacting? more durable? Can I just swap mine out and replace with the better one? Where'd ya get it?? Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Most come with a standard 1/4 in probe ....

The Competition series is 3/16 type "K" thermocouple,yes faster reaction ATM-5244 .... How much I dunno,but .063 thinner ....

I'm not fimiliar with your setup..... But if your running type "K" which you prolly are you can swap ....

Mac

·
Registered
280 Posts
No, I don't believe any of Autometer's EGT guages are liquid filled. The reason is you only need a liquid filled guage when it's a mechanical guage, the liquid dampens the movement so the needle isn't moving all over the place. The EGT guages are electronic, so this isn't a problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh, and I mounted mine in a custom console mount. It's really only temporary since eventually I'll be getting the Edge Attitude which includes boost and EGT measurements.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks GSXR, do you have any pics of it in your console? I want something other than the piller mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts