Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me with an egt gauge! There are so many different ideas on where to put the probe!
Some say before the turbo in the exhaust manifold, some say after the turbo. I am very uncomfortable putting it before the turbo because of warranty issues. I would hate for any part of the probe or metal chips from drilling to go through my turbo!!!With all of the heat shrouds in the back of the engine it would be hard to get it very close to the turbo. Any ideas would be helpfull!

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
cwinter I did mine pre-turbo about 2 weeks ago. I was scared to death the whole time I was doing it. I did the hoot method and it worked perfect. Follow the directions and it works. All the chips blow back at you. I bought a nut driver at harbor freight and did that for the plastic wheel liner, and that worked great too. The next time I change my fuel filter it will be a snap.

You get a real good reading when you do it pre-turbo.

Mike

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I like the preturbo mount also. That is where I install all of the ones I do. Follow hoots method, its no biggy, dont be scared. Make sure you have on your safty glasses and your fine. Put it in the pass manifold at the back of the manifold, there is a spot that it fits perfect in, dont go in the turbo inlet pipes. too much shielding in the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, What do you think Chevy would say if my turbo takes a dump before my warranty expires? Has anyone with a egt probe pre-turbo, had a turbo go bad that chevy replaced?

cwinterEdited by: cwinter

·
Banned
6,539 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks for the information, What do you think Chevy would say if my turbo takes a dump before my warranty expires?

Probably depends if the turbo blades are all "dinged" up. They may have an issue.

However, I would think most turbo failures are related to the bearing surfaces so should not be a problem (my opinion)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts