Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 Chevy 2500 6.5L 5 spd.

This is mechanical injection.

Where do you guys drill for the egt probe? I couldn't find an easily accessible place on the exhaust manifold. BTW, my Dmax is on the passenger side exhaust manifold pre-turbo.

Where do you splice in for boost reading. Can't find a vacuum/boost tube on the wastegate?

Pics or a how to thread would be great. Lil brother and I wasted a couple of hours on Saturday before I gave up. I did not want to screw up his truck (brotherly love!);)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i drilled and tapped a hole on the intake for boost gauge. about 3 inches from the connection to the turbo, haven't yet got an egt gauge. can't help ya there.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Here is where my boost line is tapped.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
for the boost, remove the upper intake and drill and tap. You can pick any place you like.

Egt probe I used a right angle drill and tapped into front facing side of the manifold, pre-turbo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just finished a three guage install this morning and of the three, the boost gauge was the easiest. The upper intake comes off pretty clean and easy and since my gasket was in good shape I didn't even have to mess with replacing it or using permatex. Once it's off, it's quite simple to drill and tap since you can place it on your bench and get a good position on it wherever you decide to drill/tap it. I put my pyrometer on the drivers side exhaust manifold and it wasn't too bad either, just had to remove the tire/wheel and the dirt curtain. This took a little longer to drill and tap since it's steel, but the whole thing was a lot less painful than I originally expected. Tranny temp actually was the worst simply because it's tight under the truck and there was a lot of snow and dirt falling off the underside onto me. Still have to get the guages straight and paint the pillar pod, but I'm going to save that for another day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what is the copper sensor on the intake? could you put a t in there?

·
Registered
50 Posts
and would the crossover pipe be a good place for me egt?

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you're refering to the Intake Air Tempurature sensor(IAT), it's generally not recommended as t-ing there for boost signal, as it will remove the IAT sensor from the airstream and it will not be as acurate.
As for the EGT in the crossover, it certainly can be done, but it may not be as acurate as having it in the manifold.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
good EGT location in FAQ see NVMNTLIONs post linked there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts