Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's suppose to be on top of the engine under neath the turbo cover. Does anyone have a pic on where its located and what it looks like?. Not all 6.5T have them. Has to do with the exhaust being pumped back into the engine. My tech informed me to see if I have one. If I do to remove the vacuum hose and clog it then put it back on. Said it will increase MPG and it wouldn't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
If your truck is a turbo 6.5, It generally has an Egr solenoid(aka wastegate solenoid), mounted on the driver side above #7 intake runner. this should have a vacuum line running backk to the vac pump, and a vacuum line going to the turbo. Some models have a mechanical egr, on top of the upper intake. THis sits mounted between the middle two, of the six bolts on the upper intake. Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Not necessarily QM IIRC all L56 are EGR mine is, and some later L65 are EGR equipped. just plugging/pulling a vac. line may not work on all as with a L56 PCM there is a EGR feedback thru the baro sensor if EGR isn't where PCM thinks it needs to be it can set a code, also a heavily modded L56 can lift the ECR valve off it's seat. I'll post more later gotta run right now.

here is the EGR valve dead center on upper intake

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now time for the techical terms.

Are you talking the silver thingy on top of the rusty thingy? Is the EGR valve?

If so My engine doesn't have that.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
My technical reply back is yup the rusty thingy is the valve, the other silver thingy on top of the rust one is the vac. diaphragm that pulls the rod inside to unseat the dump valve inside Mr. Rusty. which allows recirc of EGR. Since you don't have one I'll not expand on how it can be bypassed.

QM I think you did a typo faux pas, the EGR and WG solenoid are 2 different solenoids. Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that kills that try at getting some more MPG. Last tank only got 14 MPG. 1/3 of which was highway. The winter fuel I know is dropping my MPG but was hoping to do a little better.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
DG what gears you running seems kinda low, before I condemn that number, how fast are you driving? There can be a significant drop in mpg 70+ mph depending on your load, in my K1500 3:73 gears empty I avg. 16-17 if I stay under 75mph, heavy tow say 12,000 I go down to 12-13, empty 75+mph 14-15. I did record 22 one time probably a fluke in my reading running 55 mph but I don't drive there, too slow.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
YEah your right, its called a turbo solenoid valve on non egr models.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't have a heavy foot. Do the speed limit. Gearing is 3:73. Only thing that I know of that could be dropping the MPG is the tires. they are 265 instead of the stock 245 but still seems a little low.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Have you verified odometer is correct, that could have your mpg off some, you sure on the stock 245s, mine came stock with 265s, that is what is on there now?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest I haven't check the door sticker. Just been going by what the recommand tires from the tire web sites are. As for the odometer being correct I'll do a check between the trip and odometer see if they are adding miles the same. Other than that I don't know how to check it with out bring it in.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Add 3% to your mileage for the tires. I get 19mpg on non-winter fuel with 265's on my van, 3.73 rear end. With winter fuel (and 245's) my mileage dropped to 17.5mpg. That's 100% highway driving at 60-65mph. The only time I get worse than 17 is in the snow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well check the door and it list that 245 are the stock tire for the truck. Like the bigger tire look but am think that the smaller tire with cheaper cost to buy and better MPG might be the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts