Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I installed my new lbz mouthpiece. While I was trying to bend the egr water tube for a bit more clearance, it cracked! So instead of just bypassing the egr water flow, I decided to go ahead and pull the egr out.
I had to block the exhaust and the intake ports of course, but I was wondering if thats the correct way and if that is all that is required to do.
I did get a BAD SQUEAL, like a slipping belt, while under load. I say "DID" because I had a trip planned and had no time to diagnose the problem. I did have time to to remove the mouthpiece again to check on the squeal and found nothing. Checked the turbo blades and didnt see anything unusual. I noticed if I unplugged the connector at the back of the turbo, the squeal would stop. (The wife would put it in drive and step on the pedal.) After plugging it back in, the squeal would resume. We went ahead and left on our trip, only 90 miles away, and by the time we got to our destination, the squeal had subsided considerably, although still noticable. Any Ideas?
:confused: Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Well I installed my new lbz mouthpiece. While I was trying to bend the egr water tube for a bit more clearance, it cracked! So instead of just bypassing the egr water flow, I decided to go ahead and pull the egr out.
I had to block the exhaust and the intake ports of course, but I was wondering if thats the correct way and if that is all that is required to do.
I did get a BAD SQUEAL, like a slipping belt, while under load. I say "DID" because I had a trip planned and had no time to diagnose the problem. I did have time to to remove the mouthpiece again to check on the squeal and found nothing. Checked the turbo blades and didnt see anything unusual. I noticed if I unplugged the connector at the back of the turbo, the squeal would stop. (The wife would put it in drive and step on the pedal.) After plugging it back in, the squeal would resume. We went ahead and left on our trip, only 90 miles away, and by the time we got to our destination, the squeal had subsided considerably, although still noticable. Any Ideas?
:confused: Thanks for any input.
I saw you posted this in the LBZ MP thread ''Have you seen this II''. Now that I think about it, when it makes boost, is your ''block off plate'' leaking pressure and squealing like a reed valve on a musical instrument?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a likely scenario. I'll check that when I get home.
Thanks

G

·
Yeah, it may be, but what difference would the turbo connector make in that scenario? Isn't the connector he's referring to the VVT connector? I guess the exhaust would be a little less under pressure (thinking while I'm typing - a little dangerous :))...

Plus I would think that unplugging that would throw codes almost immediately... but what do I know?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Squeal is most likely from the exhaust pipe that went to the EGR water tube. Mine squealed like a pig when my gasket at that location crapped out. I went to an auto parts store and bought a sheet of gasket material made from asbestos, and no worries since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Turns out the plate I used to block the exhaust port was too thin and distorted enough allow exhaust gas to escape. I used the blocker plate and just bolted it on.
I'll need to fab something a little thicker...
Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.