Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I thought an EGR delete would be a good idea.
No problem making/fitting it.
Before I turned it off after checking it, there was a ton of fumes out the oil filler which weren't there ever before.
So what has happened here?
Can it be fixed (without complete stripdown)?
Should I add a breather box?
Or revert to stock?
Thanks and best wishes

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ps i didn't drop anything in the intake. It has had two oil and filter changes (quality stuff) in short succession . Just want to get this truck finally sorted for daily use now.....

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,020 Posts
Hi everyone,
I thought an EGR delete would be a good idea.
No problem making/fitting it.
Before I turned it off after checking it, there was a ton of fumes out the oil filler which weren't there ever before.
So what has happened here?
Can it be fixed (without complete stripdown)?
Should I add a breather box?
Or revert to stock?
Thanks and best wishes
Did you change the intake gaskets with the heat shield built in to eliminate the EGR?Thats the best way to do it or just find a LL4 heavy duty emission intake which is much better.

Blocking off the EGR should have no effect on crankcase fumes.Must be pure coincidence that it’s happening now.

Is it smoking out the tailpipe or running badly?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Olds diesel is correct. Make sure if you used the Open or Closed Intake Manifold Gaskets. I do have a very nice J-code non-emissions intake i would let go of. PM If interested.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
'Aight, did you remove the PCV, and not the EGR? The PCV is a tuna can shaped thing on the passenger side of the engine with one hose to the oil filler and two to the intake? If so, you want to leave that. That keeps a negative pressure on the crankcase and helps keep things sealed.

Post up pics of what you changed and we can help sort it out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi 82k, dieselols and dually!
Not much smoke at all from either tailpipe -the pulsing seems even too.
It took a while to warm up and idle ok, idle maybe a little off.
Definitely just took out the EGR, I know people get confused with that !!
The offer of a manifold is great, but shipping and duty would be maybe a couple of hundred dollars. But if I'm passing will bring cash! Am loathed to change out gaskets for this reason -plus I might do other stupid stuff/damage.
Is it ok to use the other oil filler cap on any code engine? Will it blow any gaskets etc?
Did not look much before in the inlet, more oil than I would like (from breather).
Now the posts for engine running on (sump oil instead of diesel) make sense.
Hope this helps others too.
Originally it came with a flat cap ( now seems loose, dunno if that's normal/old gasket) like Stant 10066. The filter one (dieseolds bet you know) was SO76. But the parts place can't find the new number, any ideas pls?
I looked in the oil, as no silver type particles. Maybe some very tiny black soot. On the dipstick it is so clean you have to get light on it to find the level, so in dirty oil that soot wouldn't be seen. I drained it to just above minimum, not tried it since through fear.....

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,020 Posts
Hi 82k, dieselols and dually!
Not much smoke at all from either tailpipe -the pulsing seems even too.
It took a while to warm up and idle ok, idle maybe a little off.
Definitely just took out the EGR, I know people get confused with that !!
The offer of a manifold is great, but shipping and duty would be maybe a couple of hundred dollars. But if I'm passing will bring cash! Am loathed to change out gaskets for this reason -plus I might do other stupid stuff/damage.
Is it ok to use the other oil filler cap on any code engine? Will it blow any gaskets etc?
Did not look much before in the inlet, more oil than I would like (from breather).
Now the posts for engine running on (sump oil instead of diesel) make sense.
Hope this helps others too.
Originally it came with a flat cap ( now seems loose, dunno if that's normal/old gasket) like Stant 10066. The filter one (dieseolds bet you know) was SO76. But the parts place can't find the new number, any ideas pls?
I looked in the oil, as no silver type particles. Maybe some very tiny black soot. On the dipstick it is so clean you have to get light on it to find the level, so in dirty oil that soot wouldn't be seen. I drained it to just above minimum, not tried it since through fear.....
Hi there from across the pond🍻

You can use the stant cap and I have the part number for the cap that might help you.I may have a few laying around but I’ll have to check.I think rockauto is sold out of them but I could be wrong.EBay is another place where you’ll find one.Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
In your original post you mention "add a breather box" . Is your CDR (some call it pcv but it functions differently) in working order? Can you upload 1 or 3 pictures of your engine bay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thejoggernot,
I did clean out the CDR with wd40 and let it dry before this problem. Just for maintenance as it has never been touched. I could see nothing wrong with it and nothing came out. I don't know how to test one. Nothing apart from the EGR has been removed, I only did this as it should run better (in theory...).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi dieselolds!
I need to understand the breather system before ordering the part.
Is it a legal emissions reason one engine code has a flat cap and the other code a tall vented cap
Or-
Is there some mechanical reason (like blowing head gaskets etc) the parts should not be mixed and matched between emissions and non emissions.
If it is safe to do it without causing further mechanical issues that's all im bothered about! It's a sticking plaster i can live with, as long as i can still close the hood.....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lowered the oil level to just above kindly and ran it (mainly idle) for 20 minutes.
It seemed to make hardly any reduction in fumes. Cold, cap off there is hardly any, warm it's a fair amount and if you remove the dipstick warm, there's fumes. Wont push it out. Removing the cap does not make a difference to the idle, you can hear a ringing echo like metal dragged on an alloy rail.
The coolant does not go up or down. It is a clay color , or like hot chocolate. There is no stream of bubbles more like hot chocolate foam.
It did cut out a couple of times even with no air in that fuel pipe, restarts straight up.
The oil presssure now is at nearly 3/4 cold, straight up warm- 40 psi.180' water temp max. Not any mechanical noises,today anyways !!!
In the inlet manifold oil is mainly appearing on the passenger side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi thejoggernot,
I did clean out the CDR with wd40 and let it dry before this problem. Just for maintenance as it has never been touched. I could see nothing wrong with it and nothing came out. I don't know how to test one. Nothing apart from the EGR has been removed, I only did this as it should run better (in theory...).
Here is a write up on the CDR and testing it. I would do this just to ensure that system is working. From what I recall, cleaning them is kinda a controversial topic.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi joggernot cheers! I'm a bit late to not clean it!
Have u a link to it please?
I've found an equivalent ac delco tall oil cap. It will be a while till it crosses the Atlantic. I looked at YouTube and it's not got blowby like the worst shown. Still more than i would like . Has anyone put a filter between the CDR and inlet manifold successfully?? What did you use please???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.