Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to delete my EGR and also buy a tuner. I'm hoping to add more life to my engine and also get better fuel mileage with hwy driving and also towing. Any suggestions on what kits and tuner to buy for a decent cost would be great. Right now mostly what I've come up with is a sinister delete kit and a ppei efi live tune with five settings. Is this a smart decision?

·
Administrator
15,966 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
I moved your post over to "Third Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners" for better responses to your question.

Please take a moment and fill out your signature with vehicle info ( Year, make, and Model ) and list any mods.
When this is completed it will appear with each post you create in the forum and will assist the other members when giving you diagnostic or repair advice.

Also, adding a general location to your profile will help with diagnostic advice when you experience climate-related issues with your vehicle

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm looking to delete my EGR and also buy a tuner. I'm hoping to add more life to my engine and also get better fuel mileage with hwy driving and also towing. Any suggestions on what kits and tuner to buy for a decent cost would be great. Right now mostly what I've come up with is a sinister delete kit and a ppei efi live tune with five settings. Is this a smart decision?
Have you read this?
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax EGR Blocker vs EGR Disable vs EGR Delete.pdf
If you absolutely need to do EGR delete are you keeping your Grid Heater?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I have the Sinister EGR/EGR Cooler delete kit, retaining the grid heater, I’m happy with it.
Even with 30* temps I can tell it’s working drawing voltage after starting the engine much longer than when it’s 50* outside.

Like OkDually suggested it’d be better for everyone looking to help, to know what vehicle you have that your asking for help on.

On tuning I’m NOT a fan of 5dsp switch, one good way to get yourself in trouble switching tunes adding more power on the high setting than the trans can handle.

With mild single tunes you shouldn’t get yourself in trouble, you never know what bad thinking will do if you’ve had a few drinks with multiple tunes on a switching on the fly. :eek:

One time I switched to my 100hp setting on another truck, younger and a little crazier, this slipped that trans.
If you don’t have the ability to switch tunes, less chance of making bad choices.
It’s not worth the little $$$ savings 5 tunes vs 1 or 2 tunes, loading one at a time, for me anyways.

There’s a couple of good EFI tuners out there beside PPEI, if there’re even offering tuning anymore, I know they really pushed selling 5dsp tunes.

Reactions: Silver Fox 79
1 - 4 of 4 Posts