Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal.
A week ago I installed the EGR blocker plate. On the first day I drove the truck it started putting out white smoke. I asked here and people said injectors. I took my truck to West Coast Deisel and they confirmed, my number 2 injector was out of balance with the others. Today I was getting my truck ready for the dealership by removing the EGR blocker plate and PCV reroute system ( I had installed the PCV system a few weeks prior and had seen no smoke untill the EGR Blocker). After driving the truck around for a few hours today I have not seen any smoke at all. I don't have a way to check the balances again before I am supposed to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow.
So, is it possible that the EGR blocker was causing my truck to smoke. I don't see how it could cause the injectors to be unbalanced but hey... I don't know alot about these trucks yet. Or, is it just now that the EGR is open and (supposedly) working again that enough of the unburned fuel, which caused the smoke, from the bad injector is getting recirculated and burned up so that no smoke comes out ?
I'd hate to take it to the dealer complaining of injector problems and white smoke and not be able to get it to smoke again, would just be a waste of my time and theirs. Any thoughts ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have run the blocker plate for 45K miles and never had any smoke at any time. Truck has 48K on it presently.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I put the plate in about 2K miles ago and no smoke. White smoke is oil, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is usually water vapor like head gasket.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
White smoke is also unburned fuel in a diesel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It smells like unburned fuel. The dealer has had my truck for 3 days now, they are at least looking at the injectors. I don't know if it will help my case or not but the service writer told me they had just had a truck with the same symptoms in the day before and they replaced the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully it will get resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts