Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading that the new power loader 3 from tts will be able to be switch on the fly between 4 tunes after loading the program. Saw this in Diesel Power. Will EFIlive have this option. Maybe an economy tune, a tow tune, and a kick anybodys A$$ tune?:ro)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
They could do it if they wanted to. In my opinion it's not necessary because unlike the power loader, you are not limited to the tunes that are set in it. You can change them whenever you like. 2 is perfect for me.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Whats nice about multiple tunes is you can have one for fuel econo,one for towing,one for mild performance,one for pure Hot Roding and never have to upload download anything .It's there at the flick of the switch.

Just makes it user friendly,user simple,just my O

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The reason others may offer more is because you have NO control over each of the 4 settings.....with EFILive, you have complete contol over how both programs will behave, low power (valet mode), smokey, big power, economy etc, etc, just 30 seconds to relflash any of those two combinations and away you go.

Let's say you are heading out to the drags, have an economy tune to get there and a drag tune for the race, the next day you will be doing some towing, so just reflash the ECM with a towing tune.

Four might sounds more appealing than two, but you are stuck with those 4 choices, not an endless amount of tunes to switch between.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Why stop at 4 ? Quadzilla has 10 tunes that switch in 30 seconds.EFI will require tweaks or can you tweak on the fly?No,you will have to tweak prior to switchable,there is no difference.Yes you can customize but really once you have the desired affect....your stuck with two.

We are talking on the fly ease at your finger tips switchable as far as I thought. ;)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Ok, I understand about the customizable feature that EFIlive has, and I can appreciate that kind of flexibiliity.

But what about after you find a tune that you have "tinkered" to death, and have it where you want it. Let's say you have 2 of these, plus the stock/valet tune? Lugging the ol' laptop around may not be a safe option. Especially, if you have to leave it in the truck.

Is there a way, or a plan, to utilize a PDA to download, and maybe use as a way to monitor some of the engine parameters? It would not have to be a complete version. (and it probably could not be due to limited memory)

(I know suggesting this is probably tantamount to suggesting that the "B" guy may have something, I'm not. I'm just trying to suggest on how to improve something [that I don't own yet] that I have incredible interests, and believe in)

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Why stop at 4 ? Quadzilla has 10 tunes that switch in 30 seconds.EFI will require tweaks or can you tweak on the fly?No,you will have to tweak prior to switchable,there is no difference.Yes you can customize but really once you have the desired affect....your stuck with two.

We are talking on the fly ease at your finger tips switchable as far as I thought. ;)
I thought you never touch your switch anyway.......:D

One tune is all you need, take the switch right out.......:eek:

T:cool: NY

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I thought you never touch your switch anyway.......:D

One tune is all you need, take the switch right out.......:eek:

WELL YES THAT IS very TRUE FOR ME I run on KILL 24/7 regardless if I get stuck out in the rain snow or have 2500 LBS of tile in my bed.

You wont catch me talking out of both sides of my mouth. ;)

I was merely trying to help Vsouth the thread starter on the differences of available tuner options,upcoming tuners and how they work.

I just never liked the Pom Pom of the day look!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my real point here was made. Once you have tinkered with your tunes and have them where you want them, I don't want to have to take my laptop everywhere I go. I'm not knocking the product, I have purchased it and really like all of the features. If there was one thing I would add that would be the ability for 3 tunes switchable on the fly. Don't need 4 as I haven't been stock in 70,000 miles. I drive 4000 to 5000 miles a month and the better fuel economy I get, the more money I save for my next upgrade.( bd turbo:) ). Yes, I could tow on the race tune but then I have to monitor things more closely than I want to. Just my 2 cents.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I've found that you can write a big tune to be perfectly mild mannered and cover 80-90% of conditions, For the 10-20% just flip the switch.

I didn't know that Quad could switch 10 tunes on the fly.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
when you have a good tune, no dial or switch is needed, trust me on that, been their done that, a tranny takes time to learn power and shift points, always changng it never allows it to find the sweet spot

when a great tune is found one can tow, race and use for a daily driver, with out bad fuel mileage tobout..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

10 from Quad that switch, Lets see, worst case, your laptop hard disk is 500Mb (it's an old one), EFILive files are about 700K, I figure that is about 700 tunes that can be switched in 30 seconds if you have the desire to create 700 tunes.
I think the point is being missed.
Tunes that switch say 4 positions do so because the user has NO control over how each of those settings behaves so it must cover a broader range of operating conditions.
As others have pointed out in this thread who have actually used EFILive, that creating a tune for most occasions is quite possible, just because you have a tune that makes 450Hp doesn't mean you cannot get good cruise fuel economy or good manners.
So why does a tune that makes 450-500Hp need to drive poorly everywhere else and therefore be switched away?, simple, it doesn't, EFILive tuners are proving that. FredW already pointed this fact out and he is 100% correct.
Understanding exactly how all the tables interact will also clearly show that.

db9938, we have hardware being designed / tested that uses an SD card to store programs you create on the PC that you will be able to flash without a laptop.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I've found that you can write a big tune to be perfectly mild mannered and cover 80-90% of conditions, For the 10-20% just flip the switch.

I didn't know that Quad could switch 10 tunes on the fly.
Quadzilla has 10 tunes that switch in 30 seconds
Never said it had a switch

If there was no need or warrant for on the fly adjustment then no one would pursue it including EFI.It's a known fact that the parameters can be suited to the user ,that's what it's all about.I Also know many that buy EFI wont have a clue what to do.

Not everyone where's the same pair of shoes. ;)

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
WELL YES THAT IS very TRUE FOR ME I run on KILL 24/7 regardless if I get stuck out in the rain snow or have 2500 LBS of tile in my bed.

You wont catch me talking out of both sides of my mouth. ;)

I was merely trying to help Vsouth the thread starter on the differences of available tuner options,upcoming tuners and how they work.

I just never liked the Pom Pom of the day look!
Since getting EFI-Live I have found that a completely drivable in all conditions 450+HP/1000+TQ tune is possible.

I have been testing many tunes on the switchable ECM to see how the transmission likes them and how the truck does in various conditions. Funny thing is I find the tranny learns much quicker now with an EFI-Live custom high HP/TQ than previously in than when I was switching between other tunes in the past. Must be how it was tuned.....

The shift flares are all gone, no matter what tune I put in, the throttle is how I like it and the tune is what I want, not knocking other tunes just stating my "O" of what I like.

Having a Three Position Tune previously I only ever used two of them and one of them 90% of the time, weather permitting.

Having one more might be nice but the ability to have multiple combinations of two and then flashing that combination in makes it even nicer.

I have hundreds of choices only 30 seconds away and no long waits for updates, in fact I can make small changes on the road or the dyno........;)

To each their own,

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
So for the novice here ,me,EFI ECM programming has done away with Allison adaptive learn?

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
So you guys are saying with EFI Live you can run 450rwhp and tow 15k with low egt's? What kind of milege are you with EFI Live getting?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
So you guys are saying with EFI Live you can run 450rwhp and tow 15k with low egt's? What kind of milege are you with EFI Live getting?
See quote below. It explains it well I think. Mileage totally depends on you the tuner and your foot. There is a mileage tune for the LB7 floating around here that seems to have good results.

The reason others may offer more is because you have NO control over each of the 4 settings.....with EFILive, you have complete contol over how both programs will behave, low power (valet mode), smokey, big power, economy etc, etc, just 30 seconds to relflash any of those two combinations and away you go.

Let's say you are heading out to the drags, have an economy tune to get there and a drag tune for the race, the next day you will be doing some towing, so just reflash the ECM with a towing tune.

Four might sounds more appealing than two, but you are stuck with those 4 choices, not an endless amount of tunes to switch between.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
"So you guys are saying with EFI Live you can run 450rwhp and tow 15k with low egt's?"​
That is exactly the problem I see facing us. NO

I agree with Kennedy's thinking. From what little I have seen, one tune can be as tame as a puddy tat, smooth and sedanlike with upper end nasty. The only problem with this, is for haulers who can't keep the foot out of the carpet. I'm afraid it would cost them dearly with some of the "100% for 15 minutes" pulling they do, in hot weather especially.

The race crowd is a different story.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

That is a very good point your in a bigger hurry than me. :D

To get power you have to add fuel.Added fuel will make heat.Can you say traffic jam 4-ways and the shoulder of the road? At 450 RWHP that is a considerable amount of fuel added.

Sure would be nice to have a switch right about ,then. :D

Adaptive learn Ah hmmm,clearing my throat

1 - 20 of 46 Posts