Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Questions:

Q - Can this be used on the LBZ motor?
A - No, data scanning and tuning is not supported for this motor.
Are there any plans for getting EFILive to work with the LBZ engine?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please search:) , this is the 4th time someone has asked in the EFILive forum, this week. The answer is no because of the different ECM manufacturer

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please search:) , this is the 4th time someone has asked in the EFILive forum, this week. The answer is no because of the different ECM manufacturer
Sorry if I disturbed you! But I DID do a quick search and did not see it. (Should have been more thorough - but I was really tired that early in the morning):(

After reading the other threads, I see that there is NO plan to support the LBZ. -Would be nice to include that info in the Sticky FAQs at the top of this section and then no one will ask the same "stupid" question again.:)

Since the LBZ is my first Duramax, I thought I would check before investing the money. I can understand not supporting something that might not be around for long. I know that manufacturers don't necessarily check around to see who else is relying on their ECU before they switch to something else. For the most part, it is money driven.

From what I read here EFILive IS the best thing since sliced bread, but not MY bread. Too bad 'cause I really would have liked to use it. Oh, well!!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
unfortunatly not gonna happen. Its appearently more trouble than its worth to crack the Bosch A35 ECM...

Not to mention the need for a additional hardware and software tweaks to add high-speed GMLAN capability.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I know that manufacturers don't necessarily check around to see who else is relying on their ECU before they switch to something else. For the most part, it is money driven.
I think maybe in the Dmax case the change was also driven by the fact that the Dmax stretches the processing and computing power of the current Delphi 16 bit ECM. With upcoming emmissions changes and also future changes I dont know if the 16 bit ECM could have handled all the added inputs and outputs. Another good thing is no more EDU because its integrated into the Bosch ECM. So no more complications there with fuel cooling, FICM harnesses, etc... It was probably easier to just have Bosch do the whole fuel system and integrate everything into one smarter unit than adapt the current EDU to work with the new injectors etc...

--Ben

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think maybe in the Dmax case the change was also driven by the fact that the Dmax stretches the processing and computing power of the current Delphi 16 bit ECM. With upcoming emmissions changes and also future changes I dont know if the 16 bit ECM could have handled all the added inputs and outputs.

I agree! The system has gotten waaaayyy to complex for the 16-bit ECM. Look at other GM cars and trucks and you will see that they are all migrating to 32-bit controllers and GMLAN.

Another good thing is no more EDU because its integrated into the Bosch ECM. So no more complications there with fuel cooling, FICM harnesses, etc... It was probably easier to just have Bosch do the whole fuel system and integrate everything into one smarter unit than adapt the current EDU to work with the new injectors etc...

You will see that even if GM returned to the Delphi-brand ECM, it will still be running on GMLAN and will be at least 32-bit. No two ways around it. (We will have to get used to dealing with CANDi modules or their equivalent from now on.) It's the same as with personal computers. The problems solved by personal computers today are way more complex and better handled by a 32-bit Pentium CPU compared to the old 16-bit 80286 from the 80's and early 90's.

For those who keep hoping for GM to return to the Delphi ECM, I wouldn't hold my breath. It took a lot of engineering changes to get to this point. And with GM's "common" mentality, more and more systems are being designed overseas and Bosh is much more common in Europe and Japan than the Delphi controllers, to say nothing of Delphi's financial problems.

I suspect that some day in the not too distant future it will again become profitable for EFILive to support the new 32-bit controllers.

Change is always a pain and that's what we are seeing with our trucks today. :damnit1: -We'll just have to accept it and move on.

=====================================

--Ben
Truck on!
Ray

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
:exactly: RayMich!! I dont think there are any Caddy's left (save for the GMT-800 Escalade) that still run Class II... and all the new Chevy cars run GMLAN too. Glad my truck is a 2005...otherwise id have to spend an extra 600 bucks on the stupid CANdi box for my Tech 2!

Was the whole reason for a separate EDU in the first place because the 16 bit Delphi ECM was too pea-brained to control the injectors and engine at the same time? I know the LB7s ran 96 volt injector solenoids, and the LLYs 48 volts, so it needed to be cooled by fuel because of the stepping up of voltage, but why didnt they just run 12 volt injectors in the first place and have them controlled by the ECM? Its such a jury-rigged (sp) setup with the EDU/ECM in my oppinion... Its like the 1999-2002 trucks that ran like 5 different data busses to compensate for the increase in electrical components (UART, E&C, Class II, CAN, etc..), versus just going straight to an all Class II system like they finally did in 2003.

Who knows what GM will do, but IMO we'll never see another Delphi ECM in a GM car or truck. It would cost money to switch all those ECMs over and redesign them for GMLAN. And thats soemthing Delphi doesnt have! Its much cheaper (and not to mention universal, like all of Europe does as you said) and just makes more sense to outsource and use Bosch ECM's. These engines will only get more complex... Whos waiting for a 64 bit dual core ECM!??):h

BTW when I was checking out/driving one of the 2007 Tahoe's in the beginning of January when they first came out, I checked out the ECM and couldnt see closely enough to see a label on it, but it looked suspiciously like a 2006 LLY ECM that ive seen....hmmmmm....

--Ben

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Delphi now have a nice 32bit ECM running the MPC561 CPU, this is used on the new LS2/LS7 motors, this thing could easily handle the Dmax, so maybe they might just switch back!.

The other thing about driving the injectors, running the higher voltages requires big heavy duty components, that is why the LB7/LLY ECM's don't drive them 'directly', but they still produce the signals that actually tell the FICM to turn the injectors on and for how long.
I really don't think the CPU power was the issue on the LB7/LLY, afterall this is the same CPU that can run an LS1 up to 8000RPM and it has to do spark, fuel and Electronic Throttle controls!.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble Ben, but just about every Delphi ECM has CAN, the LB7 & LLY ECM's talk to the TCM via CAN, LS2 ECM's are all CAN, the newer ECM's from Delphi with the 32bit CPU only have CAN, not ClassII.

I have ECM's here from LLY, LX9, LS2, LK5, L52, they all look the same from the outside (silver box with Blue, Black & Grey plugs) and they are all bulit on a similar 'core' but they are then further modified to suit the application. For example, the LS2 runs a 2nd CPU that is constantly performing a sanity check on the main CPU with regards to the Electronic Throttle, the LLY ECM does not have / need this.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
awesome, good info to know, Thanks Ross!!

I should have been more clear, I was under the impression that the 16 bit Delphi ECM's did NOT speak GMLAN, I knew they spoke CAN, because our ECM's use J1939 to talk between the TCM/ECM as you said, but I was not sure if they spoke GMLAN. What I have been told is GMLAN is directly based off J1939 CAN, but its a little more complex so the two arent "directly" compatible. I just wanted to get that cleared up...

I was wrong about the other stuff tho :D

but I still am curious what the deal is with GMLAN. Reason I wanted to know is to see if it was feasible to get a Gen IV GMLAN-speaking TCM to talk to our 16 bit CAN-speaking ECM's... do you know if that would work?

--Ben

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
awesome, good info to know, Thanks Ross!!

I should have been more clear, I was under the impression that the 16 bit Delphi ECM's did NOT speak GMLAN, I knew they spoke CAN, because our ECM's use J1939 to talk between the TCM/ECM as you said, but I was not sure if they spoke GMLAN. What I have been told is GMLAN is directly based off J1939 CAN, but its a little more complex so the two arent "directly" compatible. I just wanted to get that cleared up...

I was wrong about the other stuff tho :D

but I still am curious what the deal is with GMLAN. Reason I wanted to know is to see if it was feasible to get a Gen IV GMLAN-speaking TCM to talk to our 16 bit CAN-speaking ECM's... do you know if that would work?

--Ben
:wtf: Ben,
you either need a hobby or a woman. How do you know so much about electronics?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
:lol: I actually am not sure yet whether im going to school for engineering. Problem with that is im terrible at the "nuts and bolts" of engineering. Meaning ill never be able to start working on actual projects and turning wrenches if I cant do the base math...which im bad at!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
:lol: I actually am not sure yet whether im going to school for engineering. Problem with that is im terrible at the "nuts and bolts" of engineering. Meaning ill never be able to start working on actual projects and turning wrenches if I cant do the base math...which im bad at!
Engineering is definatley a math intensive program.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
DURAtotheMAX where did you get your tech 2 and how much was it if i may ask

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ebay, just over 1000 dollars all said and done and updated with a 32mb J-45080 card

1 - 20 of 41 Posts