Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im headed down the EFI tuning route. Local shop is telling me that they will flash the truck (with 5 tunes and a switch), but I do not get an autocal with it. Currently have a bullydog and its great for clearing codes. (I've had the P0087 low rail pressure) code in the past towing my trailer, and Im in limp mode with out being able to clear that code. So if I go this route with EFI and I dont get an autocal, can I clear the code with my old bullydog? Or will I be up the creek? Or do most people get an autocal with the tuning?

Secondly, my truck is stock other than an AFE intake and exhaust. Im going the EFI route to get rid of the EGR. Its a daily driver and tow vehicle for travel trailer in the summer. What 5 tunes should I be looking at. Is a tow tune with +75 HP too much for a stock transmission? Seems a bit high to me? Ideally if I could pick up any MPG's (or portion of) that would be ideal. I dont want to burn anything up. Also, is it worth activating the exhaust brake option? Thoughts please!
Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,
Im headed down the EFI tuning route. Local shop is telling me that they will flash the truck (with 5 tunes and a switch), but I do not get an autocal with it. Currently have a bullydog and its great for clearing codes. (I've had the P0087 low rail pressure) code in the past towing my trailer, and Im in limp mode with out being able to clear that code. So if I go this route with EFI and I dont get an autocal, can I clear the code with my old bullydog? Or will I be up the creek? Or do most people get an autocal with the tuning?

Secondly, my truck is stock other than an AFE intake and exhaust. Im going the EFI route to get rid of the EGR. Its a daily driver and tow vehicle for travel trailer in the summer. What 5 tunes should I be looking at. Is a tow tune with +75 HP too much for a stock transmission? Seems a bit high to me? Ideally if I could pick up any MPG's (or portion of) that would be ideal. I dont want to burn anything up. Also, is it worth activating the exhaust brake option? Thoughts please!
Thank you!
Yes you can still clear the codes I'm aware of. I clear mine and I have EFI and banks monitor

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes, on the turbo brake option.
On the P0087 low rail pressure have you checked the rubber fuel lines, there's short sections that overtime will get soft and collapse under load.
One around the trans, then up towards to the engines fuel filter head.

A liftpump usually will fix this with positive fuel pressure and solves this code but as a bandaid, if the lines are soft you probably should change them even if the Liftpump solves the problem.
If you go with a FASS 95 or Airdog 4G100 liftpump those would be good enough, you don't need one any larger.

The fixing issue mentioned on Kennedys link above is a liftpump which pretty much solves most of these issues.
I would do this first, with tunes your engine and YOU will be much happier with a LP.

I like my AirDog 4G100 also AD has a lifetime warranty on the motor, easy install with good CS. :thumb:

I think FASS also has a lifetime warranty but from what I know and experienced several years ago their CS is not very good. :shake:

Kennedy has a liftpump with several options which is also very popular.

I would certainly do some research and reviews on this local shop.
I know several actually use actual EFI tuners and call them their tuning.
I think I would trust Kennedy, Motor Ops, Ridge Runner Diesel, PPEI before I would let a local shop unless they are using tuners outside their shop using tuners already suggested by members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts