Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back some people asked to see EFILive running on the onboard PC. Here it is. That's a touchscreen, so I rarely need the keyboard.

It's displaying my non-bling custom dashboard.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice! Any additional details about your truckputer? Where is the main CPU located?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I think it's a notepad computer and that's the whole unit right there. They are a thin clamshell like a notebook, but the screen will rotate 180 degrees and then fold back down over the keyboard facing out. where's the ODBII wire? I see the plug - run up under the dash and through the console?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a custom built PC (from spare parts), running an AthlonXP 2700 on a micro-ATX board. It runs off a 750W invertor. The PC does not need 750W, but there's extra for when I want a little AC power.

The screen is a 10" ELO panel with a touchscreen overlay. They make them for ATM's and stuff like that.

The sound is interfaced to the truck radio using a USASpec DF-GM interface. I had lots of problems with the PACAudio module.

Both the invertor and CPU are under the driver's side rear seat. All the cabling runs through the door sill panel. There's a remote switch that turns on the invertor, and the PC is set to on-after-power-failure, so when it sees AC power, it starts up.

It runs EFILive, Delorme Street Atlas with a USB GPS, has a WiFi card with remote antenna (so I can update it at home, and borrow internet access when not at home). I use WMP for listening to mp3's, and watching divx movies. Mostly I permanently transfer movies to the HD, but it can also play DVD's in the drive.

For messing with tunes, I usually modify them on the home PC, then transfer the .tun files, and flash them with the truck PC. I can work on tunes in the truck, on the road if I want to.

It's real handy, and great for long drives. GPS is nice, I'm never lost for longer than it takes to boot up. There's a never-ending supply of music, and I can watch the ECM do it's job, which helps with making tunes.

And, it's all cheaper than an in-dash GPS with a 5" screen.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Wow! nice setup Cit1991!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
produce and sell

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
DUDE, sweet idea!

What about a Shuttle setup, in place of the stock radio that could double as a defroster in the winter?...):h

Man... the posibilities of what you've started, WOW.

·
Registered
874 Posts
He didn't invent it, but he did implement it.

www.mp3car.com

Read and drool.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Here's a setup I had in my Yukon. It was permanently mounted to the truck. It had a 700 MHz Pentium 3 with 128mb of RAM, 20 gig hard drive which had about 2300 songs on it, a DVD player for the 14.1" screen, and a wireless keyboard and infrared mouse for controlling everything.
It also had a GPS which updated in real time with Microsoft Streets and Trips, and a WI-FI card in it, so that I could connect to the internet from almost anywhere.

I'm working on a new, more integrated one for the Dmax that will have a 2.6 gig Pentium 4, and a 60 gig hard drive, with 512 RAM.

Here's the pics of the old setup.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
This is so cool! IF I did something like this, my g/f would probably leave me. She already HATES how much I'm on the comp. at home not to mention if I could tinker while in the truck too.

Citi, how is your screen mounted, or is it?

C-ya

would you mind PMing me an estimate for someone else to do nearly exactly what you did AND/OR to have to you do it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is so cool! IF I did something like this, my g/f would probably leave me. She already HATES how much I'm on the comp. at home not to mention if I could tinker while in the truck too.

Citi, how is your screen mounted, or is it?

C-ya

would you mind PMing me an estimate for someone else to do nearly exactly what you did AND/OR to have to you do it.
The screen is mounted using zip ties. Sounds ghetto, but it's very firmly mounted. I have it set up so passengers (front and rear) can see it. And the cupholder is still usable.

There's a tradeoff between having a big screen to see stuff, and taking up lots of room. You can see the compromise I made in the original pic.

I have maybe $1800 in it. But that can vary alot depending on how many spare PC parts you have around. I had the HD, CPU, and a few others.

The CPU is cheap. The monitor cost the most since the small ones are not popular, and it's a commercial-grade touchscreen.

EFILive was also a big part of the cost...but worth it.

I'd love to mount it in dash, but I'm not good at that kind of stuff, and I'd have to relocate the climate control and radio...could be done though... and would be real sweet.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
WOW, your 1800 cost includes the cost of EFI Live?! That is incredible. Down fall is I have NOTHING as far as already having components to do this. I would probably opt for a smaller (10.4" or less) touch screen to help reduce that cost some.

Do you have a detailed list of what is required? This could be emailed or PMd if it were a lot of info and you didn't feel like posting up here.

Also, is this something a person could do if all they had experience with is installing a CD player in a car? Thats all my background consists of and is not a real strong background at that. I haven't done any computer building either BUT do have a better understanding of that stuff than I do wiring of electronics in a vehicle. Seems like most the time, computer items are plug and play, am I sheltered or is this actually the case?

C-ya

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice set up. I have a regular cab so space is at a premium. But an in dash set up would be the cat's pajamas.
This http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=284113&pfp=BROWSE
is something I just picked up for in truck computing. It's a little tricky at first but no need for a flat surface.
When I was thinking about it, I had planned for a trackball like that. Reading mp3car showed me how they were using PC touchscreens with USB and special drivers for the touchscreen to act as a mouse.

Actually that's what cinched it for me...to go for it.

It's tons of fun. USB gamepads are also fun...for playing Simpsons Hit and Run. Makes a 4 hour drive go faster for the passengers.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
So..... The million dollar question, is this for the faint of heart or do you have to have a pretty broad knowledge of these types of electronics and stuff in order to tackle this.

I would love to but am a bit hesitant on being able to do this.

C-ya

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Take a few minutes to browse the mp3car website, smokeshow. Computers are one of the simplest of electronics - pretty much everything is "plug & play" on standardized connectors (power supplies, cords, monitors). It's not as intimidating as you think.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
That is what I thought, thanks Tom.

Now I just have something else to save the greenbacks for. :crazy:

C-ya

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It isn't that hard. If you know about computers, you can usually build one. I stopped buying pre-made PC's years ago. It helps if you have a buddy who has done it, for those odd questions that come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts