Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EFI Live is claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread but I can also see it as a disaster with someone like me playing with all of the parameters available, it would appear to me that a novice could very easily throw things completely out of whack.
That said someone with higher knowledge of these systems and how they work it could have infinite value due to the possibilities for a multitude of custom tunes.
Do I have this analyzed correctly or do I not even have a clue as to the EFI Live capabilities.
Merle

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Baby steps :)

I haven't screwed anything up yet and I've made some pretty drastic changes. Common sense will guide you through it. I wouldn't worry about it. Git-R-Done!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
As with any tool it can be used wrong. If your not ready to risk breaking something then I would not do it. If your willing to risk breaking something then take baby steps and be careful. Ask others for some help and work your way through it slowly.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Has anyone broke anything with EFI yet? Ultimately I'm sure you could but if you use your head and go slow I don't see it being possible. If you just go wildly changing values by outrageous numbers than you'll probably have problems. But I wouldn't let the software scare you. And if you don't feel comfortable tuning, buy the software and wait for files from someone that is comfortable. That's the beauty of this software is we can now share our work. 1,000 different people working on these tunes is better than a couple corporations that really don't care about pushing the envelope.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The nice thing about EFI live is we can share files as well. So if you are scared I can write a tune for you and share it with you to try. Then you can modify that tune from there if you like. The possibilities are endless.

Not everyone is going to be capable of making 500hp tunes, thats were people like Diesel Tech come into play. For the average guy, this is pretty slick and I think you will find you won't have any troubles at all getting started.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OHHH I was not aware of the file sharing capabilities, that changes everything.
Now old dumb farts like me can take advantage of those out there that are more knowledgeable and daring and hope that they are willing to share that knowledge with others.
In all sincerity I myself am most comfortable with having options like the Edge Juice etc w/4-5 different tunes available at the flick of a switch or push of a button basically because of the fact that it is a known entity with predictable results.
Perhaps as I learn more about EFI Live I will be more comfortable with it.
Merle

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
well with EFI live you soon will be able to have different tunes a the flip of a switch as well :)

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I was just thinking that Ross should bundle a couple of safe tunes for people to use this. Would help sales I would think, then again, a different liability scene altogether.

Now that you can use parameters as a trigger/switch, definately going forward with water/meth injection for the cooling application. This is one powerful package.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
killerbee, you also have a programmable output with the DSP2. For example if you want the water/meth to come on at above 80% TPS or above such an RPM etc, you can do it with the ECM output.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I myself will continue reading all these EFILIVE post till i feel more at ease with the programming be fore i purchase. So please continue to post as much info as possible

Thanks
Jcast

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I have a plan for water miser injection. Only above a certain map threshhold, AND above threshhold ECT, or perhaps IAT.

Irritates me that we have no post-CAC charge temp to reference.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
As far as I can see you could set 2 or more different variables to trigger it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Right now ECT is the only one in the list from your requirements but if you talk to Ross nice he might be willing to write a special OS for you. I'm just guessing.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Programming is not going to be for everyone. It's going to be for the minority in fact. The reason I see EFI being a tool that the marjority have is because of it's diagnostic capabilities. And yes, sharing files is possible. You just have to be able to trust the person giving you the file if you don't know what you're doing.

This is the reason that companies like Edge, Predator, Bullydog, TTS, etc. are still going to be big players in the market. Not everyone is cut out for this, and not everyone has the tools or time available to learn this software and create decent, powerful, tunes. This simply isn't going to be for everyone.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That's what I was referring to Tony. Do you know if it supports logic, AND, OR type combinations?
Did you post that over at EFILive as well?, I just answered the same question over there........but I'll also answer it here.

The answer is yes, it supports logic switching based on all the parameters shown on the screen shot in this post -
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61182

I guess in the future we can expand those parameters as users request them, but it's not a small task doing assembler code alterations across 6 or 7 Duramax Operating systems.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I guess in the future we can expand those parameters as users request them, but it's not a small task doing assembler code alterations across 6 or 7 Duramax Operating systems.

Cheers,
Ross
Yeah but you are no ordinary guy! You can do it! ):h

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is there any way to use calculated PIDs to activate the output??? It would be nice to be able to set a theshold based on a calc.PID to activate the output. One could get very creative with it....

The answer is yes, it supports logic switching based on all the parameters shown on the screen shot in this post -
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61182

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Is there any way to use calculated PIDs to activate the output??? It would be nice to be able to set a theshold based on a calc.PID to activate the output. One could get very creative with it....
I don't quite follow.
A calculated PID in my mind refers to something in the scantool, remember, this needs to work with or without a laptop connected.

Cheers,
Ross

1 - 20 of 36 Posts