Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does EFI Live effect the warranty on the duramax?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes, but if you were to have problems you could simply load your stock tune back and take it to the dealer. Where in Northern Illinois are you from??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a question that came to mind.

·
Registered
201 Posts
With an unlocked ECM will the dealer even be able to tell the tables/calibration has been modified? Mind you I am talking about just a calibration tune, not a complete DSP2 OS reflash. Obviously, to be safe, out of site is out of mind. But I was thinking in an emergency if you couldn't get back to the stock tune, the worst thing that would happen is the dealer re-flashes and steps on your tune - which really isn't that big of a deal since you have it stored on your laptop. Thoughts?

-- kbk

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
kbk, I don't believe the dealer could once the ECM is changed back to stock, another sponsor on here disputes that.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you look in your factory owners manual it will give you the answer right in it. If you do something that adds power they will void your warranty. Does not matter if it is EFI, TTS, Edge or any of the rest of the power adders on the market. GM can tell if the unit has been reprogamed as well, so if yoour concerned you should have a spare stock programmed ECM to install.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
GM can tell if the unit has been reprogamed as well, .
'I' personally do not believe this to be the situation, I am not saying what you are telling us is untrue and I am more than happy to be proved wrong.
I think telling everyone that they need to spend another $200-$400 on a spare ECM is worthy of an explanation.
If it is secret squirrel stuff then so be it I guess we can continue on believing what we want.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
"You" personally can believe me or not "I" really do not much care. Do your own homework and you will figure it out.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Makes little difference to me, EFILive does not sell 'spare' ECM's, so if customers choose to buy a spare from you or anyone else then so be it, but if EFILive was suggesting to our customers they spend an extra $400 with us without solid proof as to why then maybe I might be a little more concerned.
Also, you may be surprised to know that we do our homework, that is why we can reflash a 2001 > 2002 or 2002 > 2001 without rendering the ECM useless.......can GM do that? Has anyone else since 2002 been able to do that?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Are there OTP areas of the ECM? Is their some kind of reflash odometer that counts everytime it is programmed?

I don't care if they can tell or not. They definately can't tell at the dealer level. I bet there aren't too many peope in GM that would have the capability period.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Even if you put a stock ECM in, there is other ways to tell. I recently was given a document from GM. It is NOT a bulletin, but I it is from GM. Apparently they don't even look at your ECM, its too easy to put back to stock and cover your tracks.

AFTERMARKET POWER-UP KITS
OVERPOWER: FEATURES OF FAILURE
***Piston cracked parallel to wrist pin
*Piston cracked in lip area
*Hole in piston connecting top of piston to oiling cooling channel
***Melted pistons
*Lip of combustion bowl melted
*Top of piston melted/missing
***Cross hatching polished off cylinder wall
*Cylinder wall missing crosshatch on major thrust face of cylinder below ring belt travel
***Piston pin bore, wrist pin and rod bushing
*Scoring in upper piston pin boss/black discoloration/oil coking
*Wrist pin wear
*Rod bushing surface worn and discolored
***Carbon coking to underside of piston
*Discoloration of underside of piston
*Discoloration and carbon coking buildup on underside of piston between piston pin bosses
***Full face piston ring wear
*Piston rings worn flat at parting line of ring
***Accelerated rod / Main bearing wear
*Fretting on backside of bearing
*Bearing surface distressed

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Are there OTP areas of the ECM? Is their some kind of reflash odometer that counts everytime it is programmed?
The only permanent memory is the Flash, there is no EEPROM in the CPU.
There is an area of Flash that is updated constantly by the ECM, this contains the oil life remaining, VIN, VATS data etc, and apparently a reflash counter?.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you had a catastrophic failure, they could analyze mechanical components and determine cause of failure. No reason to look at the PCM for a reflash, as the customer could have put it back to stock or just as easily have a harness box and remove it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you had a catastrophic failure, they could analyze mechanical components and determine cause of failure. No reason to look at the PCM for a reflash, as the customer could have put it back to stock or just as easily have a harness box and remove it.
I think their is a misunderstanding, we are speaking of the PCM ONLY! Not if the motor blows up and some nut job returns it all to stock (ie removing a juice or flashing the computer back) and takes it to the dealer and expects them to warenty it! We are only speaking of flashing the PCM with and EFI Live tune and then having the FPRV go bad, flashing the computer back to stock and taking it to the dealer to have it replaced. Would they be able to see that the computer had been flashed and then re-flashed?

So question being, can they tell that we have re-flashed the PCM?

Bentley

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Actually, I have a friend at a dealership who told me an interesting story.
An LS1 has a big meltdown, still under warranty and they could see this car had been modified (headers, intake mods etc). Anyway, they were willing to play the game and honor the warranty until they read out the fault codes.
It had stored a fault code for low oil pressure, but it also stored the history data for that code......engine run time was only 20 seconds, it was still dead cold, RPM's were 6800!. At that point the PCM went back to GM to be analyzed further to which it was found it had been given an aftermarket tune where some genius raised the cold engine RPM limit to 7000RPM instead of the 4500-5000 RPM GM have for cold engines.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
epb091786 , sorry for misunderstanding you. I would say that in the scenario you are describing, there would probably be nothing to worry about. If there is a way to know how many times the ECM has been flashed, I don't think a tech or GM would go through the trouble of finding out for anything but a catastrophic engine failure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts