Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know EFI live has the market for tuning the D-max, but has anyone had any experience with HP Tuners? My buddy uses it on his gas burner and loves it. He's got his 5.3 tuned in pretty well.

From what I know, both programs are capable of the same types of computer mods. We are going to use HP Tuners to modify my shift points and speedometer (bigger tires), but I am hesitant to go any deeper into the engine programming without some feedback. There are some generic tunes posted that we could load into the trucks computer as a good starting point though. Any opinions? Was HP too late at getting into the diesel market and EFI Live has already got the market pinned down, or why do I not ever see them mentioned on the forums?

FYI, my plan for the truck is to set it up for pulling (about 8000lbs once a month) and daily driving- i.e. good shifts, good mileage, and no more than 75hp since I have the stock trans.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I see

Ha, as soon as I posted this I found the link to the HP Tuners forum. Typical.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
There are people running with hptuners on here. Efi live has the major market share right now on diesels here. Yes, they came onto the diesel seen later then Efi live. Just becuase Efi live came out first does not mean is it the only way to go. I think it is a really nice program & suites my needs. It is really easy to use also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started playing around with HP Tuners last night. It is going to take some studying before I feel comfortable doing too much.
How do I reset the TAPS on the tranny? Is it necessary when changing shift points or just when adding power to the truck?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
hp/ efi live

I am running hp and I think it is a great programm, I run the trial version of efi live so I can studdy efi tunes for info, for the most part better or worse is a matter of opinion at first it was tough with hp cause theres not that many people to help you, but it forced me to learn the hard way and i dont think i would be tuning as good as i am now because I learned a alot by screwing up and starting over, but when you screw somthing up you learn the limmits and how that table will change your truck at that point you can look at the table and now what your changing and how that change will drive . one thing i like about efi live vs hp is the fuel pw tables refrence boost for pw amount, and hp uses fuel psi an mm3 both aclomplish the same thing but hp is was a little harder to not smoke before the turbo spools up when making high hp tunes, I have 2 tunes I have posted you can check out, for a tow tune read Mcrats 50 hp tow tune thread, i believe ther is a sticky on it in the efi live section, it easy as pie and works great ! any question pm me I will help to the best of my knoledge.

Reactions: GenuineBANG

·
Registered
282 Posts
one thing i like about efi live vs hp is the fuel pw tables refrence boost for pw amount, and hp uses fuel psi an mm3 both aclomplish the same thing but hp is was a little harder to not smoke before the turbo spools up when making high hp tunes,
Please explain this to me as I think I understand what your saying but you CAN change the axis by right clicking on the table & changing it to metric. Maybe Im missing something but im pretty sure thats what your talking about correct?

EFI's way

HP Tuners Imperial Settings

HP Tuners Metric Settings(the same as efilive's metric settings)

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Started playing around with HP Tuners last night. It is going to take some studying before I feel comfortable doing too much.
How do I reset the TAPS on the tranny? Is it necessary when changing shift points or just when adding power to the truck?

Right now you can not reset the taps. That is something they are working on for us. It would be a great feature to have. You will just have to have a buddy with a tech 2 or like the rest of us let the tranny learn before you are to hard on it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
thanks fof667 at a glance on the pw tables i thought it was kpa, thanks for the correction, i have not midified any efi table only read them, other than limitting the amountof fuel per gy/cl is there another way to not fuel as much until; my turbo spools up , ( I know that the fuel/heat is helping spool also) I dont even know if I can get aroung it ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know EFI live has the market for tuning the D-max, but has anyone had any experience with HP Tuners? My buddy uses it on his gas burner and loves it. He's got his 5.3 tuned in pretty well.
I started using HPT to tune my car and am starting to play with it now on my truck. I have a friend with EFI Live and although HPT is later to the market, I can't see any significant downfalls. HPT has good support and seems to put a lot of effort into making sure requests make it to the software releases.

That said, people tuning HPT with diesels are either pretty tight lipped, or there just aren't many of them out there. I'm hoping the number of people using HPT to tune diesels will pick up as I absolutely love the program for gasoline tuning...

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I started using HPT to tune my car and am starting to play with it now on my truck. I have a friend with EFI Live and although HPT is later to the market, I can't see any significant downfalls. HPT has good support and seems to put a lot of effort into making sure requests make it to the software releases.

That said, people tuning HPT with diesels are either pretty tight lipped, or there just aren't many of them out there. I'm hoping the number of people using HPT to tune diesels will pick up as I absolutely love the program for gasoline tuning...
Pm'd you.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts

Go to www.duramaxtuner.com Nick is the man on tuning. He really helps people out, but he is a busy guy so give him time. He can write tunes for Efi live & Hptuners.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Thanks John,

I appreciate the positive feedback. I have started building tunes for guys with HPT.

If you're interested, please call me :).

Nick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad I'm onto something good here. From the looks of the HP Tuners program I didn't think I could reset TAPS, thanks for confirming. I did see a post where someone said you can disconnect the battery for 24 hours to reset TAPS. Has anyone else confirmed this?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad I'm onto something good here. From the looks of the HP Tuners program I didn't think I could reset TAPS, thanks for confirming. I did see a post where someone said you can disconnect the battery for 24 hours to reset TAPS. Has anyone else confirmed this?

Interesting thought. I would like to know if that does it also. The good thing is hptuners is doing a beta on the allison tuning & is working on the taps reset.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've got a buddy that uses HPT on his truck. He bought it to tune his camaro and it carried over when he got his duramax. He has had great luck with it. He used his experience with the car on the truck. It screams and knocks down about 20 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts