Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a EFI Live Tuner. There are so many different ones with EFI Live which one should I be looking at? I see the Spade with one tune is about the cheapest way to go, or should I look at the five tune EFI Live with DSP5 switch? Or should I look at something like the PPE Economy tuner?

I want longevity out of this pickup, so I'm not looking to modify it much. I'd like a minimum of LBZ power out of the truck I bought, as it's an LLY by VIN. I've owned a diesel pickup for the last 17 years but kept it stock, so any help navigating uncharted waters for me would be helpful.

I plan on towing a 32' travel trailer, as well as stock and equipment trailers from 16'-28' both GN and bumper pull types. When I said I don't plan on modifying my truck much I'm looking at TB 4" exhaust, TransGo Jr, BPD EGR cooler/EGR Delete, and up to 265 tires to start. The pickup already has a K&N intake, so I plan on getting the S&B dry filter for it instead of the serviceable wet filter. Edge monitor with EGT sensor.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have a spade from Duramaxtuner with a DSP2 switch. 80hp tow tune w/turbo brake and 100hp tune.
Love the way the truck runs, I have 789,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a spade from Duramaxtuner with a DSP2 switch. 80hp tow tune w/turbo brake and 100hp tune.
Love the way the truck runs, I have 789,000 miles on it now.
What tune do you use the most? I figured I could get away with 100 hp from stock tune on my motor without too many issues. I just don't want transmission issues from too much HP.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have Kennedy's single tune Tow/Performance ECM for 12 years now.
No need for the trans to relearn and works very well for my needs.
Sure does wake it up.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
What tune do you use the most? I figured I could get away with 100 hp from stock tune on my motor without too many issues. I just don't want transmission issues from too much HP.
You won’t get away for very long adding 100hp to your stock engine and/or your trans.
Think of this like taking steroids, you can only perform great for so long, then you die a early death.
I don’t care what another person claims, shorter life for both.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

If you're towing, keep it to a 40- or 60-hp tune.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I’ve been running my 40hp TowTune with turbo brake for 6 years, this tune has more timing than I was ever comfortable with 8 - 14.
My mileage started dropping down to 11-11.5 early this past summer, then my dinosaur days of racing thinking kicked in, more advanced timing better performance but you also need a good quality fuel to gain anything.
Bigger tunes add more timing, if your fuel quality is questionable you’ll loose something somewhere.

Back off the timing a little less performance but better mileage.
We’re talking max boost from 31 down to 29.
Our cetane in Az is down to 36-37, I always use Diesel Kleen even tried adding Amsoil cetane boost this didn’t help.
I put my 25hp tune in timing 3 - 8 max on the highway, my mileage went back up to 13-13.5, this is mostly city very little highway with a 8200lb truck solo.
Single EFI tunes, no switch so I won’t be able to do something stupid I’ll regret by switching tunes when. :beerchug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won’t get away for very long adding 100hp to your stock engine and/or your trans.
Think of this like taking steroids, you can only perform great for so long, then you die a early death.
I don’t care what another person claims, shorter life for both.
Here was my thinking on a 100 HP tune. My motor is a detuned LBZ, if I've done my research correctly? So I'm already 50 HP less than a stock in basically what amounts to a LBZ motor and as far as I know it'sthe same transmission. So adding a 100 HP tune would be like putting a 50 HP tune on a LBZ motor and transmission.

If I'm wrong in my thinking feel free to correct me. I want to at least get to LBZ power and torque out of my truck, which it should handle. Adding an extra 50 HP would be kind of middle ground between most tow tunes. Am I wrong thinking I can add a total of 100 HP from stock to an 06 LLY?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Here was my thinking on a 100 HP tune. My motor is a detuned LBZ, if I've done my research correctly? So adding a 100 HP tune would be like putting a 50 HP tune on a LBZ motor and transmission.

If I'm wrong in my thinking feel free to correct me. Am I wrong thinking I can add a total of 100 HP from stock to an 06 LLY?
Just updating your going to gain 50hp
50hp tune your gain is 100hp
100hp tune your going to end up with 150hp tune.

I have Kennedy's 75hp Tow/Performance. He compares it at a 110hp can tune.
I would add a Transgo Jr. To your trans.
I use mine mostly for towing our 2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L befor that 2005 SunnyBrook 32RKFS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just updating your going to gain 50hp
50hp tune your gain is 100hp
100hp tune your going to end up with 150hp tune.
So basically you're saying if I order a Spade Turner with a 100 HP single tune I'm actually adding 150 HP. That's what I needed to know, thank you. I really don't want to go over 400 HP total, I know I want the LBZ performance and I was just thinking having a little on top when needed for towing and drivability would be great.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So what makes you think your Duramax has been detuned, have you put your truck on a dyno that shows this, or is this just something you’ve read somewhere.
I still stand by my original suggestions, your on your own now with what you end up doing.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I’ll add over the last 15-20 years I’ve never heard of a 50, 100 hp tune actually being a 100 or 150 tune or any hp tune for that fact.
I don’t know where this came from, probably was read about somewhere.

Actual engine hp from the manufactures is measured at the fly wheel, when tuners do tuning, the hp they add is measured at the rear tires usually on a dyno.
So the end hp result will not be what one thinks.
Your probably still a little short on hp at the rear wheels compared to the fly wheel hp claimed by the manufacture.

Any tuner will claim that their tuning adds more power and cleaner than any of the others.
Like a 75 hp tune is equal to anyone else’s 110 hp tune, wishful thinking/claim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what makes you think your Duramax has been detuned, have you put your truck on a dyno that shows this, or is this just something you’ve read somewhere.
I still stand by my original suggestions, your on your own now with what you end up doing.
I'm going with what I've read about the differences between the 06 LLY and LBZ in HP and Torque, the LLY being roughly 50 fewer in both aspects. Every thing I've read on the differences in the motor says the only thing that was changed was the factory programming between the 06 LLY motor and LBZ. You're right I'm probably putting a lot of assumptions into this truck, and I won't really know anything until the keys are in my hands on the 19th or 20th. However, I'm here to learn and I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Every year they’d up the factory hp a little to compete with the completion.
The only thing I’ve heard of with lower hp (de-tuning) is on the 4500’s and 5500’s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Every year they’d up the factory hp a little to compete with the completion.
The only thing I’ve heard of with lower hp (de-tuning) is on the 4500’s and 5500’s.
All I really know is the 06 LLY is rated at 310 HP and 605 FT-LBS torque from the factory. The 06 LBZ is rated for 360 and 650 respectively and even on this forum everyone says the only difference is tuning. Again from what I read when the 06 came out with the 6 speed Allison the LBZ tune hadn't been approved for use by the powers that be, so they used the LLY tune with the new motor updates for 06.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
All I really know is the 06 LLY is rated at 310 HP and 605 FT-LBS torque from the factory. The 06 LBZ is rated for 360 and 650 respectively and even on this forum everyone says the only difference is tuning. Again from what I read when the 06 came out with the 6 speed Allison the LBZ tune hadn't been approved for use by the powers that be, so they used the LLY tune with the new motor updates for 06.
You can't be more correct.
Sticky https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/140-duramax-third-generation-2006-2007-5-lbz-lly/67521-06-lly-lbz-differences.html

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
What you and apparently G2GBY don’t understand or know is when the Duramax comes out with a new series engine like LLY to LBZ, there’re not only adding hp in the tuning but there’re also beefing up the internal engine to hold up to the higher hp they are adding.
Same when they came out with the LMM.

I still don’t understand a new guy asking for advice for longevity, then disagree with good sensible advice but all happy with bad advice that he wants to hear.
Make sure you tow with your your 100hp tune.

I say go for it :thumb: your minds made up, add the 100hp you want maybe you’ll get 150 like G2GBY thinks you’ll get in the end, what’s the worse thing that could happen. :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What you and apparently G2GBY don’t understand or know is when the Duramax comes out with a new series engine like LLY to LBZ, there’re not only adding hp in the tuning but there’re also beefing up the internal engine to hold up to the higher hp they are adding.
Same when they came out with the LMM.

I still don’t understand a new guy asking for advice for longevity, then disagree with good sensible advice but all happy with bad advice that he wants to hear.
Make sure you tow with your your 100hp tune.

I say go for it /forum/images/smilies/thumb.gif your minds made up, add the 100hp you want maybe you’ll get 150 like G2GBY thinks you’ll get in the end, what’s the worse thing that could happen. /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif
I don't want 150 HP total tune, you're not understanding what I'm asking. An 06 LLY is internally and externally the same engine as the 06-07.5 LBZ it doesn't have the same tune from the factory. I think that's where the disconnect we're having is at.

I want to get my HP and Torque specs up to that of a factory tuned LBZ. Then I'd like to add a mild tow tune as well around 40-50 HP if it improves economy for both DD and towing. I imagine that would put me close to what you're running as a tune. I'm not trying to even get close to the magic 450 RWHP that causes stock transmissions to go into limp mode as well as a lot of other documented problems.

G2GBY just told me that the 100 HP tune would get me the extra 50 HP the LBZ already has when it flashes my LLY computer. Then it would give the same 100 HP tune as it would a normal LBZ would have. That's how he came up with 150 HP total and I agree it would be bad for my truck. However' what he's also saying is if I ran a 40 HP tune like you do, it should get me close to 90 HP when it flashes my motor since it'll be an LBZ tune.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
However' what he's also saying is if I ran a 40 HP tune like you do, it should get me close to 90 HP when it flashes my motor since it'll be an LBZ tune.
Correct, but that 40hp tune will be rated at RWHP
The 50hp just for updating is FWHP

We all know the hp/torque improvements over the years so I don't know why this is being brought up but we're only talking about 06 LLY to 06/07 LBZ

The LBZ's rear wheel 280-320hp, depending on dyno, temp, truck ect...
Like i said I have a 75 RWHP added so I figure I'm about at 380 RWHP
Don't go much over 400RWHP with a stock tranny. That's if you want it to last..
I've had this single Kennedy's tune in for 12 years and I don't baby it unloaded. Like Kennedy says any body can build a hp tune but a tow tune is a lot different and that's one of his specelties.
I also have the TransGo Jr. Witch is good even for a stock trans.

This will be last post on this.
taylorce1, enjoy your 40hp tune. There's nothing like a good EFILive tune. That's how they should run from the factory.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I don't want 150 HP total tune, you're not understanding what I'm asking. An 06 LLY is internally and externally the same engine as the 06-07.5 LBZ it doesn't have the same tune from the factory. I think that's where the disconnect we're having is at.

I want to get my HP and Torque specs up to that of a factory tuned LBZ. Then I'd like to add a mild tow tune as well around 40-50 HP if it improves economy for both DD and towing. I imagine that would put me close to what you're running as a tune. I'm not trying to even get close to the magic 450 RWHP that causes stock transmissions to go into limp mode as well as a lot of other documented problems.

G2GBY just told me that the 100 HP tune would get me the extra 50 HP the LBZ already has when it flashes my LLY computer. Then it would give the same 100 HP tune as it would a normal LBZ would have. That's how he came up with 150 HP total and I agree it would be bad for my truck. However' what he's also saying is if I ran a 40 HP tune like you do, it should get me close to 90 HP when it flashes my motor since it'll be an LBZ tune.
My reference to 150 is what G2 is fantasizing about a 100 hp tune is actually a 150 hp tune at the rear wheels.:facepalm:
Please,
Get the real tuning hp facts from a actual tuner, maybe check with a few of the tuners on hp so you’ll get more of the truth than fiction from one.

I’m actually running a 25 hp tune now, and no I don’t have 50 at the rear wheels dyno verified.
My mileage took another hit with 40hp with the cetane down to 36-37, and additives aren’t helping with mileage.

The more the hp the higher the injector timing will be and with today’s low cetane, high hp isn’t good for mileage.
Timing on my 40 hp tune 8-14, 25 hp tune 3-8.
More advanced timing gives you more power but you have to have better higher centane to gain anything. Drop the timing better mileage a little less power.
Max boost from 31-32 down to 28-29.

Now, I’m also done with this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts