Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what differences they have seen in their EGTs relative to differences in ambient temperature. Are EGTs substantially lower when it is cold outside (say 40 degrees Fahrenheit) as opposed to hot (say 85-90+ degrees)?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I don't see much difference at all. When you are talking 1000 degrees, 40 degrees ambient temperature isn't going to make much if any difference.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I see a huge difference in the time it takes me to idle down below 300 degrees. But I agree with Max that in the upper range of temp, I see very little difference..... But in the lowwer range I see a lot of difference....

Where are ya at in MI joe..... im in Bay CityEdited by: ISurvivedNMU

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Ambient temperature does have an effect on air density and combustion so I thought maybe it would be more noticeable. Makes sense that post-combustion would be fairly uniform though now that I think about it. Colder/denser air going in would result in more fuel being metered by the injectors resulting in larger/hotter explosions which would offset the increased cooling efficency of the radiator -- until you idle down anyways. Probably still a small effect relative to 1000 degrees though.

ISurvivedNMU: I'm a ways south of you -- down near Lapeer.

Edited by: Michigana_Joe

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree with Isurvived on the cool down period.

When I pull into the driveway on a colder day like today(40 deg) the egt drops to 300 within a few seconds.It normally takes half a minute or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good rule of thumb... for every 1 degree drop in ambient temperature there is a 1.4 degree drop in Exhaust Gas Tempreatures.

Horace

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Battering Ram said:
Good rule of thumb... for every 1 degree drop in ambient temperature there is a 1.4 degree drop in Exhaust Gas Tempreatures.

Horace

Im courious were you got that number. I have been thinking about the temps going the other way, over 100 degrees and the effects there. Seems next summer Im going to be pullin some heavy equipment around and it just got me thinking. Thanks

ISNMU

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I see 100+ lower towing at 70 versus 90. Not much difference solo. Later! Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts