Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 2500HD LT w/Cummins & Allison. The original owner put on Am. Racing 20" wheels and tires. How will this effect towing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screwed that up! How about Duramax .... I'll change my signature block. That's what I get for shopping at the Dodge store.

However, any comparisons to the Cummins?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Dodge and ford guys will tell you that the duraturd or maxipad or what ever duragatory name they give with its aluminum heads wont make it past 25k becuase it will warp the heads, blow gaskets bla bla bla. Dodge guys also like to say how bad the injection system is although what are they running now?

It dosnt have the low end of a cummins but it has more than enough balls to pull anything a 1 ton pick up has any reason pulling. It also responds really well to just programing(just a chip, not hard parts like injectors, turbo work ect) to make some crazy power.

the weight limit of the rims/tires might be a problem(dont know what 20's can take? Dont know what rims/tires are on it exactly) but you can pick up factory rims pretty easily and reasonably if its a good deal on the rest of the truck. What do you plan to tow?

·
Registered
448 Posts
If your tires have any real side wall on them then the overall diameter of the wheel/tire will be greater, obviously increasing the effective gear ratio. That will not help towing. I believe that you'd be OK at less than 10,000 lbs of trailer unless you were in the mountains or something or had a real high profile 5th wheel or other type of parachute
. The REAL issue may be what ratlover brought up, what's the load capacity of that combo?

On edit, I ocassionally pull 20,000 lbs of backhoe and trailer and always out accelerate and hold speed better than the big trucks if their heavily loaded.Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
958 Posts
low profile tires = less air volume = less carrying capacity.. Plus, I somehow doubt you can get Load Range E tires for a 20" rim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, this information is great! I'm a recreational tower currently with a 32' TT somewhere around 6,000 - 7,000 pounds (about max'd for my Ram 1500 w/360. That had a factory tow package and I didn't mess with anything. This used vehicle seems like a great deal but I need to know what I have to do to get it back in spec.

I want a deisel to be able to upgrade to slides and possible 5th wheel.

·
Registered
958 Posts
All you'd need is a set of take-off OEM wheels and tires, or if you like the lifted look, a set of take-off Hummer H2 wheels and tires (315/70R17 BFG A/T's on 17x8.5" rims) which actually have a slightly higher load capacity than the OEM's.

I've seen the OEM sets go for as cheap as $375, and H2 sets go for as cheap as $600. Brand new condition of course.

If the tires and wheels are like new on the truck I bet you can get much more than that for them. Maybe there's an H2 guy you can trade, since many of them want to go bigger than 17.Edited by: Camstyn

·
Registered
611 Posts
<TABLE height=14 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>

JTrate,

I love my 20" wheels/tires they are not much bigger in diameter than stock according to this site Miata

265/75/16 stock=31.6 inches in diameter

275/55/20=31.9 inches in diameter (I have those on my front)

305/50/20=32.0 inches in diameter ( I have those in the rear)

I tow a small trailer (5000 pounds) .</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD background="" bgColor=#fefefc> </TD>
<TD class=text background="" bgColor=#fefefc></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Edited by: DIESEL 5

·
Registered
915 Posts
DIESEL 5, what brand of front tires did you find with a good load rating.. I saw the 305's have over 3000.. Do your 275's have the same?? If you don't mind me asking, what did the 275's cost you? Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
132 Posts
JTrate

I bought an 03 2500HD and 5 weeks later traded it for an 04 3500 dually because the 2500 was to light (by the book) to tow the 5th wheel we bought. If you get into figuring towing capacity keep in mind that 2500 will weigh close to 1000 lbs over what GM lists it at.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Morse said:
DIESEL 5, what brand of front tires did you find with a good load rating.. I saw the 305's have over 3000.. Do your 275's have the same?? If you don't mind me asking, what did the 275's cost you? Thanks for the info...

Morse,

Front tires are Goodyear Eagle LS, 2400lb rating, about $250.00 each.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for the info Diesel 5.. I had looked into these tires and was scared of them bc the 2400 pound weight rating... Seeing you have them eases my mind.. How are they wearing??

·
Registered
611 Posts
Morse,

I put about 45k miles on them, I think they have another 5k-10k miles in them. I do have to mention that this is mostly fwy miles.

P.S : What are stock tires rated at?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock ones are rated at... My 35 buckshots are rated at 3,096 pounds.... You just talked me into them... I found the 275-55-20 eagle ls for 136/tire at tirerack.com..... Thanks for the info... Lots of help...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Morse,

What wheels are you buying?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Helo Maxx 8 in a 20 X 10... The local shop told me 1450 for chrome.. That was the best deal on these wheels I found.. You have any suggestions or better priced 20's??

·
Registered
611 Posts
Morse,

They look good, but make sure to try them on at the shop. Someone told me that on Allison/duramax combo trucks the front calipers are bigger and not alot of wheels would clear the calipers.

Are you going to lower your truck (9'' lift)?Edited by: DIESEL 5

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm gonna lower it back down... I think someones coming to pick up my 35's tonight.. Still gonna sell the 39's when I find a buyer.. I like the look of a lifted truck, though it's not practical for a daily vehicle in my case.. I've had lifted trucks for years.. I normally run heavy equipment, so it used to sit most of the time during the day.. Now, that I am nearing the completion of my current jobsite (industrial park), I'm showing potential buyers around the properties.. A lot of the buyers can't even get in the truck.. It makes it a hassle.. Not to mention, I don't have warranty on a truck with now 14,000 miles on it.. They said they would reinstate the warranty when the truck came down.. I figure I'll lower it back down, install the front bumper cover off the new SS, white it out, and throw on some nice wheels... Maybe I can pick up a couple tenths in the quarter in the process..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts