Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 lb7 in a 94 k1500.
I have been somewhat daily-ING this thing for a month.
As of yesterday My EDU Relay is stuck on even with the key in the off position, causing the fpr to stay powered and in turn causing a huge power draw.
I swapped with a known good relay and it does the same thing.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.
Tia
Kenny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,171 Posts
No real answer I'm afraid, but it looks like the EDU relay is closed by the ECM. So I'd start with unplugging the ECM and checking for corrosion at the connections. Then you'll have to check the proper pin out of the ECM and see if it's hot when it shouldn't be. ECMs fail in strange ways. It wouldn't hurt to check the FICM ground to the block, but no ground SHOULD mean no relay closure. Maybe. Also, since you were clever enough to install it, you can probably check the associated wires for chafing. You could have a short to the edu relay wire.

Hope it helps,

Roswell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I've found the issue.
Ecm c1- ficm relay control going to pin e6 at the fuse block is commanding a negative signal for the ralay to turn on.
When I remove this pin from the fuse block I can turn the relay on with a negative trigger signal.
My plan is to wire an intermediate relay to send a negative signal to the e6 pin at key on to turn the relay on.
Is this acceptable?

No real answer I'm afraid, but it looks like the EDU relay is closed by the ECM. So I'd start with unplugging the ECM and checking for corrosion at the connections. Then you'll have to check the proper pin out of the ECM and see if it's hot when it shouldn't be. ECMs fail in strange ways. It wouldn't hurt to check the FICM ground to the block, but no ground SHOULD mean no relay closure. Maybe. Also, since you were clever enough to install it, you can probably check the associated wires for chafing. You could have a short to the edu relay wire.

Hope it helps,

Roswell

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,171 Posts
I guess my post got eaten.

I can't get you what's acceptable. That's a personal choice. Bypassing the ECM could lead to a situation where the FICM continues to pump fuel out a broken pipe after a collision.

I would find the actual problem instead of a quick fix. My dad would bypass the EDU relay. Shooter's choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts