Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading alot of post about the six gun and the edge and I can't seem to figure what the best is and Why. I recently purchased a 04 GMC ( LB7) that had the 6 gun installed. I did'nt know what it was until a friend of my showed me. Wow it really thru me back. Anyway it seems like most of the people here like the edge better and I'm tyring to figure out why. I am considering selling the 6gun to get the edge.

According to all the graphs I see the 6 gun puts out more HP and Torqe on L6 them the edge, But if I keep it on 6 I will trash my trans.

What does the egde Offer? and if it is better with more HP and Torqe wouldn't it also trash my transmission? I do like the edge better because of the digital read out and basicly all the gauges I need are there. But is that important?

What transmission up grades is everybody talking about?

Keep in mind I'm not out to race 1/4 miles or tow a small building. Just want to get the best out of the truck with out blowing it up.

Please bear with me, I'm new to the diesel world, I love this truck and I don't want nothing to happen to it.:help2:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
banks makes promises that usually doesn't come true. His numbers and actual numbers are a little off. Yes it is important to know what's going on in your engine so getting the readout's with the edge is a good thing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Bigtyme1: I have an Edge EZ... Our trucks can take somewhere around 70-100 additional HP, and after that you run the risk of limping (slipping) the tranny, which precipitates easier slippage the next time,.... until... you are paying big bucks to fix your tranny. When towing heavy, our trucks can take around 0-50 additional HP. If you UPGRADE your tranny using Suncoast, ATS, TTS components (do search), THEN your truck can handle significantly more additional HP, and the tranny will be able to take it without limping. There are various upgrades you can make to the tranny, usually running in the thousands of dollars-- probably not what you are looking for... at least not yet. :)

In regard to Edge vs Banks... probably not worth switching IMO. You can only go so high on these units and you are past the threshold mentioned above, so the only diff might be how smooth one is vs the other. IIRC, both Edge/Banks have a backdown feature (backs off +HP if it senses tranny slippage), but by that time, damage has already started to happen from slippage.

If you are not towing, you probably don't need EGT/boost guages, so do you really need the Attitude monitor? Probably not. If you tow-- you need gauges by all means-- either via the Attitude, or seperate (mounted) gauges. --Paul.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Banks claims are at the flywheel, EDGE is at the rear wheels, BIG difference. I love the edge and wouldnt go back, a knob (Banks)to change settings is well kinda cheesy IMHO. To each his own but for me Edge all the way.

Pit

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do agree, I like the looks of the edge much better.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Banks claims are at the flywheel, EDGE is at the rear wheels, BIG difference. I love the edge and wouldn't go back, a knob (Banks)to change settings is well kinda cheesy IMHO. To each his own but for me Edge all the way.

Pit
I don't think Banks' claims are flywheel, I think they are rear wheel figures. But the thing is they advertise the highest gains at any one point in the power curve, not peak to peak. Edge advertises peak vs peak gains.

As far as switching. I would if I had someone interested in the Banks and was willing to pay an acceptable amount. But if your gonna take a big hit on the Banks then I would keep it. The Attitude would be the main reason for switching for me (if I were you anyway)

That's my .02 ;)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
FYI, I just noticed that this is in the engine forum. It will get moved to the electronics forum when a mod sees it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you go to the competition section and read the Banks Six-Gun dyno numbers, you'll see that it's putting down what they are advertising on the LB7 and LLY. I would buy the full pillar mount and get the boost gauge. If your Gun has the Speedloader option, you can also buy the egt gauge for the pillar. These both plug right into the module.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Granted this a on a furd-:t but one of my freinds had a 6 gun on his truck and absolutely hated it. he switched to the edge and hasnt looked back. regardless what your run between the edge or the 6gun u are still riskin the tranny. the banks just kinda seems to plain for me. i like how the edge comes with the digital readout and everything. :grd:

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
If you have the banks keep it. No sense selling it if its working good for you. If you dont have a stock trans and are after performacne then selling the banks is a good idea. But with a stock trans all the power adders available will be limited to the same level. JMO but I doubt you will see any difference one way or the other. Do you have the latest update of the banks 6 gun?

·
Registered
809 Posts
not worth trading one for the other with a stock trans, both companies dyno plots are misleading, its the average hp gain across the powerband (or area under the curve) that matters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read somewhere that banks raises fuel rail pressure and is hard on injectors. I dont know if this is true but edge doesnt raise pressure.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
If you have the banks keep it. No sense selling it if its working good for you. If you dont have a stock trans and are after performacne then selling the banks is a good idea. But with a stock trans all the power adders available will be limited to the same level. JMO but I doubt you will see any difference one way or the other. Do you have the latest update of the banks 6 gun?
:exactly: why get rid of it to spend more money on a comparable unit...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I read somewhere that banks raises fuel rail pressure and is hard on injectors. I dont know if this is true but edge doesnt raise pressure.
It raises fuel pressure only on level 6 with the Speedloader.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I like my banks just fine and it does get the advertised numbers, see my sig, and thats with 2 bad injectors, and yes it raises fuel rail pressure on level six, but that dyno run is the only level six run in more than a year. BTW I got 330hp and 598 tq rwhp on level three. Keep it unles you are gonna go big and do the trans and pump etc. have fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts